Dodger

Completely Stumped! G60 running very rich...

Ok Folks I am lost,

A few months ago I purchased a 1990 G60 with 135miles on the clock. The car had been sitting for several years. Since taking ownership of it here is what all I have done:

-Rebuild engine with good used pistons, new rings, and bottom end bearings, Bore was within specs and deglanzed/recross hatched, the head was redone at a local machine shop.

-Overhauled the fuel system to include new pump, regulator, relay, lines, injectors, filter, and cleaned out the tank by hand.

- Inspected electrical system and verified stock chip in ecu, checked computer harness to each sensor with a multimeter, and throttle body micro switches. Replaced alternator, battery, cables, blue ect, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, coil, isv, ecu relay, ecu 3.5mm X 1 meter vac line, O2 sensor, adjusted CO pot to 500 ohms.

- Also replaced was timing belt, air filter, thermostat, drive belt, changed tranny fluid, cleaned all grounds, installed extra ground wires to the throttle body, block, ecu tray, valve cover, and coil bracket.

The car starts right up, runs rough, lots of black smoke from the tail pipe. It stutters under acceleration, and sometimes stalls when returning to idle. The plugs foul pretty fast if I let it idle too long. It pulls 10 in/hg at idle. The charger is bypassed (still waiting on parts for it). Fuel pressure is around 43 psi at idle (and holds it with in Bently manual specs for 10 minutes). If I bypass the blue ect it will lean out a bit, still not enough. (just testing to see if the ecu is performing any sort of fuel control) I am thinking the ECU may be bad, if I pinch the fuel line to where it has about 20 psi in the rail it idles perfectly. So it is a fueling issue causing the problem. Any suggestions? What am I missing?

Dodger

It's always going to run rich without the charger installed..

Have to tried running with the lambda disconnected? also check wiring to this, particularly the plug near the rear engine mount.

Or, try hitting the WOT switch when running as this tells the ECU to ignore the lambda signal.

Is the Blue Temp sensor a genuine VW part? If not change it.

Digi ECU's suffer from blown injector drivers due to bad engine earths, you might want to try a new one or try yours on another G60 if possible.

excatly as supercharged said,injector drivers get damaged due to bad grounds,ive had one ecu do that and it still ran,but like a bag of spanners,couldnt find out why til i changed the ecu

But running the engine without a supercharger is a biggy

Yay! Today I went to another G60 owners flat, and we installed my ecu in his car. Guess what? Ran the same way mine does, smoking and over fueling. Put his ecu back in and it ran perfectly. So the hunt is on for a purple sticker ECU.