Stonejag

Inconsistent oil temp readings on MFA

Bit concerned about my oil temperature readings. Cooling system seems fine - thermostat works and radiator fans kick in at around 110 degrees. However my oil temperature readings climb very high during a sustained run - cruising at 80 (around 3000rpm) for ten-fifteen minutes yesterday gave me reported oil temperature of 134!

Turning off the ignition and restarting (at traffic lights, not on the motorway!), the temperature reading immediately dropped to 106, rose to 108, then jumped to 122, then back to 104, where it stayed for the last five miles of my trip. What's going on? :shrug:

I assume the sensor is near the oil filter, are they known to fail? Not sure if the high readings are actually true or not which is making me a bit nervous! I do intend to fit an oil cooler fairly soon but would much prefer to know what's going on first. Any ideas?

Stone

if it were 134C you'd certainly know about it when you opened the bonnet.

As david says, dodgy wiring. Cut the old spade off (it will likely be green with deposits) and remake - you're pretty good at that sort of stuff anyway!

Change the sensor just in case - i think its about £10 from VW. Make sure you clean up the face that meets the oil filter housing as thats your -ve to the sensor. It just goes straight to the clocks after that.