davidwort

8v stuttered, died, but then restarted???

Mrs was driving the 8v this morning, it apparently just stuttered, juddered to a halt and died. After waiting a couple of minutes she managed to start it and drive home fine.

It has had a few slow starts recently, turning over a good few seconds before running, whereas it usually starts on the button.

Generally the car runs very smoothly, good mpg, just passed MOT/emissions very healthy.

What do you reckon I should check?

Fuel pump relay?

Could be the hall sender on the dizzy mate, would VAGCOM it first... check battery and earth connections too.

Ignition switch and ECU relay are also favourite if not been changed, also dodgy supermarket fuel or a leak etc worth thinking about.

Cheers Steve,

I replaced the steering lock and barrel recently but not the ignition switch itself, but it seemed good and there's never any trouble with the electrics coming on or it cranking.

battery is new and I cleaned and securely fastened all the connections.

seems like the hall sender could be past it, it's certainly original.

Is this a digifant injection? If so, I have all the injection/ignition/electric relay stuff if you need anything.

Is this a digifant injection? If so, I have all the injection/ignition/electric relay stuff if you need anything.

Cheers, yep it is, will bear that in mind :)

Another fuel pump relay in and a bit of oil cleaned off the inside of the distributor and hall sender and it's running fine, can't seem to get any misfire or anything, hot or cold, pulls fine, starts perfectly, so unless it dies totally again I'm not sure what happened.