tentonhammer

Location of Throttle Body Switch / Position Sensor

Could somebody confirm the location of throttle body switch / position sensor?

See pics below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67913[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67917[/ATTACH]

Sensor looks knackered and want to get it replaced.

Cheers,

Ten Ton

Corrado 92 16V 2.0

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67921[/ATTACH]What you have circled is a temp sensor associated with the operation of the radiator fan after switch off. The throttle body switch is underneath the throttle body on the end of the butterfly valve spindle. This photo shows the throttle switch whose function is to indicate when the throttle opens and when it is fully open. It is not, I repeat not, a throttle position sensor as fitted to many modern cars!

Gotcha makes sense. Couldn't see below the throttle body to get a glimpse of it so presumed the sensor (circled in pic) to the left of the throttle body was the switch / position sensor.

Is there no throttle position sensor on these then? Presumably the throttle switch takes care of this

When I got my 16v earlier this year I checked the working of all the sensors. When I found the potentiometer on the butterfly spindle I assumed it was a throttle position sensor (TPS) and couldn't understand why the output as the throttle opened didnt rise or fall in a progressive manner. I posted on here and the outcome was that all was well. For some reason VW decided that a potentiometer at £120 was better than 2 switches, one to say the throttle is opening, and one to say the throttle is wide open. Modern cars generally have a TPS, the 16v Corrado doesnt-I assume its cos the ECU on the Corrado is crude in comparison with modern ones.

I've heard the potentiometers go faulty (or switches as some have called them) - Do you know what the output should read?

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:28 AM ----------

The temperature sensor (circled in pic / associated with the operation of the radiator fan after switch off) - Do you know the actual name / part number?

I'm having trouble finding a replacement that's all.

Cheers,

This is the info I was given on this forum earlier this year (as I said it acts as 2 switches):

on a 2.0 16v the throttle body should contain a 3pin connector. Pin 2 being the earth. and 1&3 are Closed and Wide open switch feeds respectively.

If you wish to check if yours is working all you need is a simple ammeter and to carry out the following tests

pin condition resistance

1&2 Throttle closed Zero

1&2 Throttle Slightly open Infinity

2&3 Throttle closed Infinity

2&3 Throttle fully open zero

If youre getting anything else you have a faulty switch,

The temp sensor (circled in pic) you say is associated with the operation of the rad fan after switch off - Is this the sensor? See below

http://seekpart24.com/beru/temperature-switch-radiator-fan-824121119?c=100334&at=1583

I've gotta change / eliminate it because mine looks shagged. I'm confused though because mine has a spade connector on the top of it, the above looks like a 2 pin?

Right idea but wrong part for your car. I think you should be 191 919 521D. If you search for this on the site you indicated they have these from 3 different manufacturers. May be available elsewhere if you try Google.

Always look at Vagcat-the parts catalogue (Google it) for info-you have to register before you can use the parts catalogue, but its a good starting point for info and part nos.

Also, Ive found the search facility on the forum throws up lots of irrelevant stuff. If you Google the issue, Google will take you to better more relevant info on the forum. (eg Google 'Corrado ISV' and Google takes you to appropriate threads on the forum.

Edited by bmwcompact