Fanjita

Steering Rack - will it work

Ok guys,

Just wanted any expert advice here, while my engine's out I decided I'd drop a newer steering rack as a bit of preventative maintenance. I was sold one cheap with the new engine, but simply told it'll fit, I had no reason to believe it wouldn't.

The new rack has only been used for a very short time, it looks almost identical to the old rack but there are a few differences:

- The old has no part number so I cannot compare, the new one has a little placard on a rivet with the number 3A2 422 055A on it. This number does not appear on ETKA, and only produces one valid hit on google (for a MK2) link

- The new and old rack both have 3 turns lock to lock (as far as I can tell)

- The bracket welded onto it which has a hole for the PAS pipe clip is different, the new one is just a small hole but the old one is keyed to accept the clip.

- The new rack had residual green PAS fluid whereas my old one used red.

Aside from this, the rack itself looks pretty much identical, there are a few numbers on the side that appear to have been cast into the housing, these are not the same on either.

Anyone know if this rack will work? I really don't want to get this wrong and have to drop the subframe (as the engine will then be in) cheers.

the front one is new, behind it is the old rack which i cleaned a little.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68023[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68024[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68025[/ATTACH]

Edited by Fanjita

Count the splines on the input shaft. If all the fitments are the same, it'll work. The only possible variance is there might be slight gearing/assist sensitivity differences between models.

Yeah both 22 spline sorry shouldve said. I'm just trying to be cautious the last thing I want is to swap the rack when it all goes in.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Ok its in and fitted, the steering wheel is in a slightly different position but I'll adjust it at that end.

Looks all fine aside from that thanks for the help. What fluid should I run the rack on? I'll be using a 24v PAS pump that came with the engine (another member has this setup it works fine).