petemcr

stupid central locking problem

any electrical gurus out there? I really need some advice with this

ever since getting my VR, the central locking has never functioned proper on the drivers door but perfect on the passengers side.

example being, if I put my windows down and then lock the door on the passengers side and hold the key, I get full closure including the sunroof, if I do it on the drivers side it will sometimes lock the doors but more than likely only lock itself and never has it activated the full closure.

This is where it gets a bit weird, if I unlock the passengers door, the locking does work on the drivers side. so I decided to take the door card off, unplug the loom and short it out manually to see if it was the micro switch.

At first nothing happened, then I unlocked the passengers side and tried it... it locks, but won't unlock, then I tried shorting the other wires and it got to the point where it would lock when I short it, but the second I removed the wire of one of the pins it would unlock?

this is getting really old, I have to open the passengers door, then walk around and get in my side, then have to always lock the door on the passengers side, so any help would be great

This sounds just like the problem I had. Its the wiring in the drivers door loom that needs looking at. Take the drivers door card off and pull back the membrane on the lock side.You will see the wiring split in a V shape,-part of it goes to the lock and the other part goes to the handle. Undo the tape around the loom at the V section and look for a loose wire. Its worth a look if nothing else.

Scroll to the bottom of this page to see what I did; http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?67449-Rob-s-2-0-16v-project-Pembrokeshire-Bought-a-VR6/page3

Edited by dumptyboy

This sounds just like the problem I had. Its the wiring in the drivers door loom that needs looking at. Take the drivers door card off and pull back the membrane on the lock side.You will see the wiring split in a V shape,-part of it goes to the lock and the other part goes to the handle. Undo the tape around the loom at the V section and look for a loose wire. Its worth a look if nothing else.

I noticed that bit when I had the door card off but I didn't take any of the tape of it, did you manager to sort it in the end then?

I noticed that bit when I had the door card off but I didn't take any of the tape of it, did you manager to sort it in the end then?

Yes mine now works perfectly. I added the link to the previous post to show you. I was well happy to get it sorted as I nearly gave up!

oh I, just took a look.

That's brilliant, cheers for the info man, hopefully weather permitting I'll get the door card off again tomorrow :)

Yea, its all sorted now, brilliant advice. I peeled back the tape and there was no break in the wire so I was going to wrap it back up, then I peeled up a bit more and sure enough the wire crumbled apart lol

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

yea my passenger side door had that problem, the wireing from the door handle was butchered in half!! prety sure it was due to the movement of the window chopping it in half! so make sure all wires are clear of the window when in operation and tied back ..