captainredeye

compression test and oil in manifold

Iam testing compression later today in the vr as its been using alot of oil, there is some seepage around the gasket on cylinder 1 and 6, now talking to my dad he has suggested doing the compression test if it fails then spray some oil into the piston chamber to seal the piston if it still fails he reckons it could be a valve seal in the head.

Cams will be going in soon and i have a ported head so thinking of doing a head rebuild so will do the head gasket then, i am though worried about having bore wear to deal with and a lot more hassle.

Any thoughts on this? could i use wd40 instead of spraying a little oil into the piston chamber or just not bother?

Edited by captainredeye

Leak down test is a bit more comprehensive... but the above sounds good, WD40 maybe a bit thin bt may still do the job

Due to cooling issues though VR's due suffer wear of the outer cylinder bores - i.e. 1 and 6!

I went down almost the same route as you about a year ago, ended up rebuilding the head as several valve guides were worn. I swear the smoke stopped but its back with vengeance now. If I were to do it again, I'd just replace the engine for same cost with little extra work, making sure of course its a good block.

I'd see what the compression test indicates first though.

Well all cylinders are bang on 12 bar except number 4 which is 12.8 so really no problems there. I have found the front row of spark plugs were all slightly oily and my other concern is I have found oil in the intake manifold which I think has come from the cam breather valve, is this normal?

Were they dry compressions or with oil squirted down the bores? Good compression means the top ring is OK, but the oil control rings might not be. Oil in the manifold is normal on a VR6. It's a loose engine and breathes heavily. Could just be the valve guides but I'm inclined to agree with Joni. Been down the same road myself.

Yep dry test only as the compression was good, have quite a bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust when I rev the engine.

I may just do the head and then replace the lot when I have a decent rebuilt block don't want to whack another block straight in as most are high mileage and likely to have some sort of problem crop up.

---------- Post added at 5:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:15 PM ----------

Oil control ring I take it that is one of the other 2 rings on the piston