fendervg

Required voltage for amplified roof aerial

Does anyone know if the voltage for the roof aerial should be 5V or 12V ? I tested the aerial output on my friend's radio, and this is showing 5V and his reception is very bad. I've done some research on the forum and know that the aerial base amps often go due to water ingress, and can be bypassed, but I'd like to troubleshoot it a bit first.

Also, would anyone have a part # for an early aerial - 1993 ? I think this is the old co-ax connector.

That's a great link Dec - thank you. A lot cheaper than the stealer's - assuming they can even find the right one! What year is your car and did you have tom change any of the connectors to get it to work ?

Yeah, I was quite surprised at the price too! Usually they will sting you for massive postage prices....but $10 is very reasonable!

Mine is a 1989 ex 16v and the connectors fitted perfectly!

The cable on the base was slightly different than shown on the photo on that site though.....the end plugs are the exact same as shown (screw in plug for the aerial, and single pin plug for the power supply). But, the aerial cable itself is longer than shown in the photo and there is a standard DIN Male+Female connection half way along. This means that the aerial base can also be used with a Male DIN plug at the end of the cable!

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of buying from the US - I had to pay £13 in duty!!!!

Yep - still probably cheaper than the dealers though. Over here in Ireland it's pot luck if they catch it or not at customs - always worth taking the chance.

It's well below the Duty threshold, so you definitely shouldn't have to pay any duty. In theory you could be liable for UK/Irish VAT (and therefore also a sales tax refund from the US), but mine arrived without having to pay anything......

Turns out the duty was only £5 for vat - bloody royal mail wanted £8 "handling charge" - *******s!