JuanTravolta

Rear strut broken?

I was driving down the street about five minutes ago, when I started hearing this rattling noise coming from the back right of my Corrado. The noise was coming from inside the car, and when I looked back I noticed the rear speaker rattling up and down. I pulled over and after 4 or 5 minutes I realized that something wasn't right with my rear strut.

These are some pictures I took of it...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68870[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68871[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68872[/ATTACH]

Since I know nothing about struts, I'm asking you guys if this look like my strut is broken? Will I simply need to get a new one and replace it, or will there be other parts I will have to purchase?

Thanks in advanced.

A slightly common issue if there is such a thing. It looks like the circlip has disappeared from your strut.

----------

Sent from iPhone 4S via Tapatalk while on the crapper

Is this something that I should be able to pick up at a local auto parts store, or would I have to take it from a junk yard?

Thank you for responding, I truly appreciate it!

If I wasn't able to get a hold of the circlip, would I be able to just purchase this and replace the entire strut assembly?

http://www.andysautosport.com/volkswagen/1990_1994_corrado/suspension/struts_and_shocks/kyb/kybb92343191.html

Also, I think the previous owner put the car on lowering springs, but I'm not entirely sure. Here is a picture of the rear left spring..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68873[/ATTACH]

Also, here is a picture of how low the car sits...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68874[/ATTACH]

looks to me like the spring top plate might have rusted through in the centre so nothing to stop the damper shaft pushing straight up into the car.

see part 7 on the diagram attached, should be easy to buy a new one, it's a mk2/3 golf/jetta part and plenty of pattern suppliers sell them but it should aslo still be available from VW as it's such a common part

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68875[/ATTACH]

Yep, if the spring plate has gone as suggested then you can pick one up. If it is the circlip that's gone then I think a new strut is needed ideally, you could buy a strut and change over the spring using spring compressors. Best to try and have a look really to determine what's gone. Both are good possibilities.