scott1980

MUCH HEAD SCRATCHING ! It died after pressing the horn !!

This might seem like a wierd one....and take a whle to decribe but...

I've had my 95 2.0 16v on the road for just over a week and all has been fine until today! The alarm+immobiliser which was fitted (serpi star GR420) when I bought it has worked fine , but only sounded, or chirped intermittently when arming / disarming. So today i unplugged the sounder module , sprayed liberally with electrosolve electrical cleaner , let dry and re-fitted..the alarm and siren worked fine , i drove it home from work then back again without problem.

Leaving work I pomped at a colleague and...THE ENGINE CUT OUT !! :scratch:

The electrics worked fine , cd , windows , etc. but , when I turned the ignition I didnt get my dash LED's lit up and it wouldn't start ! The immobiliser seemed to arm / disarm , lock / unlock my car but I couldn't start it !!

I checked all fuses and relays on the drivers side and all appeared to be sat correctly and the fuses were fine , I could hear a clicking from the passenger side in the engine bay so i removed the glovebox to find the immobiliser itself , along with two more relays #179 and #79 plus two 30A fuses ...I checked that the relays were sat correctly ( they are hanging "loose" possibly to make room for the Immobiliser ) #79 looked to be slightly "out" so i gave it a squeeze in its holder ..turned the key and it started !!!

Drove it home , checked horn worked with engine on etc. and all appeared fine so i put the fuse cover and glovebox back thinking it was a cured faulty connection with the relay , left it half an hour or so , went to pick my girlfriend up , pomped outside her house and.....yep... it died !!

Its started twice since then , after disconnecting and reconnecting the relays , but this may just be coincidence ? The last time it started it ran for approx 10 seconds then died on its own :scratch:

All I get when i turn the key is a click from the engine bay , no dash LED's .

It turns over but thats it !

Is it a coincidence with the relays ?( #79 and #179 are apparently ABS related ) , Is it a fault with the Immobiliser ? ( did i somehow damage it cleaning the siren )

Any help would be great , I apologise for the essay but I wanted to give as accurate a description as possible . I would really love to be able to sort this myself as I can't bear the thought of TOWING it to an auto electrician / garage

You can get auto electricains that are mobile, if your stuck. The only thing I could think of is your battery is low, electrical systems dont like a low voltage and start to play up.

Cheers guys , I've sorted it (temporarily).. It was a dodgy pin on the connector for the immobiliser !

It's a 24 way connector , like a power connector for a PC motherboard , and one of the pins inside the male part was mashed in and looks like it was probably done on installation. The glovebox comes pretty damn close to the motherboard and could have easliy bashed it a little when it was being put back in ...It's a tight bugger ! Iv'e been through the pile of receipts I got with it and it was installed in January ...1996 !!

Just my luck that it has started to act up now !! ha . Iv'e bent the pin inwards a little and it will be fine until i get another connector ( £2 off ebay :thumbleft: )