Pete

Any tips for buying budget winter wheels

Hi guys I don't want to run my 17 speedlines in winter so looking to plan ahead and get some cheap rims.

I think 16 would be best as 15s with the lowered suspension would probably make the car scrape its belly.

Any places you can suggest? I'm happy with steels or alloys to be honest unless eBay turns up a local set of golf wheels etc I'm not bothered.

Did the beetle come with 16 steels?

I know the answer is probably to ring vw, scrappies and check ebay etc but wondered if anyone had any bargains to share?

theres loads of sets of wheels out there for less than £200, look for mk4 golf or bora alloys or 16" audis.

if youre not that bothered about them youre spoilt for choice.

eBay or are there any sellers doing them for that price?

eBay may be best as I may get them with tyres already on...

As said, Bora or Passat alloys, Castellets iirc. 16" 5x100, and can be picked up for about £120 or less on ebay auctions. :o

Its worth remembering though that as long as you have 288mm brakes or smaller then most 15" wheels will fit, including 5x100 VW steelies.

Also, as long as you go for the right tyre size, which on a Corrado would be 205/50x15 then it will be no lower on 15's than it would on 17's.

Good luck with the search though :)

Are you adamant you want 15/16s? Could do you a screaming deal on a lovely* set of 17" RCs...

*not very nice

Tom. To be honest I would prefer the bigger wheel, I think my car looks a little too "euro" on 15s lol.

Jamie. They will be used through winter so not sure I want anything too smart. Ideally something with nice fat tyres I can rub up to kerbs with when parking haha.

ill get you some pics mate. they are straight and true, but had the odd kerb mark and were stained with brake dust. but ive just sanded two of them down and repainted them in satin black. need to do the other 2. they come with tyres all have tread. 2 are proxes tr1s with about 2-3 mm tread on it. The other 2 are uniroyals, only covered about 1000 miles

also the fronts will need 3mm spacers to clear the calipers. i can provide the spacers if you wish. They are 5x100 spacers and have a 57.1mm centre that fits the hub exactly. got longer bolts too if you wish also.

Edited by Critical_Mass

Jamie. They will be used through winter so not sure I want anything too smart.

Hahaha Mate you couldn't describe these as too smart :D

Tbh they're not in that bad condition just been painted black - badly! Just an idea for you mate, I dont want a lot for them and the offers there if you change your mind :)

CMass. Not sure I'd want the hassle, unless they look the nuts! I have 288 brakes if that hinders?

Jamie. Do they have tyres attached? Pics?

CMass. Not sure I'd want the hassle, unless they look the nuts! I have 288 brakes if that hinders?

Jamie. Do they have tyres attached? Pics?

Thats fair enough mate, though its not much hassle using the spacer, but no they're not the nuts, just simple 6 spoke alloys good enough all year round, but certainly ok for just winter wheels.