Tempest

Pics of SciroccoRegister National Day today

Back again and processed piccies from a good National Day by the Scirocco Register.

There were IIRC 50 cars or so, didn´t quite manage the magic number of 53, and certainly not all cars attending were type 53s :laugh:

Only 1 Mk1, belonged to a chap known within the SR community as Mr Brown, who sold most if not all his cars to other SR members prior to emigrating to the US, only to announce his return some 6 months ago, followed by him re-acquiring his entire fleet just in time for his arrival on these shores. That´s why he appeared in now his very own Mk1 Rocco.

Loads of Mk2 in all sorts of varieties, and a good turn-out of us little lot with our Rados. B)

Had fun and games with mine this morning: 4 weeks not being driven after the MOT, which my Rado sailed through without even any advisories, whilst in the meantime I had read an interesting thread on a German Corradoforum about the crappiness of the Mk02 ABS system used on all LHD Corrados (which does not use a vac-driven booster rather than running everything through the ABS pump - a design flaw if you will, because this pump needs to be activ ated at regular intervals to keep the brake pressure up, which normally the vac-driven brake booster would do, a technology that VW returned to when they ditched the Mk02 ABS system by introducing the Mk20 system with brake booster and all, but requiring a new ECU, loom, sensors, and hence not an easy conversion, but still a popular one amongst the German Rado crowds) and how an upgrade to the Mk20 system is recommended. I just thought that all wouldn´t apply to me, because my Rado´s ABS system still happily works.

That must have jinxed my Corrado :laugh: . It probably knew I was reading those very pages on the German forum! :laugh: This morning when turning the ignition key I was greeted by an unusual priming sound from the ABS pump, running at much lower speed, then dying, Christmas lighting (brake and ABS light) shining on my dash, no intention of going out. Oh dear!

Drove off to Cosford followed by Jim in his VR, first few brake attempts were as usual, but then at a set of traffic lights I felt how hard the brake pedal had become - no more power assisted brakes. OK, back to the 70s this is folks, stamp on that pedal to not hit the person in front of me!!! :laugh: You get used to it :laugh:

Once home again, read out the error codes from the ABS unit, no errors found, but as soon as the engine is started the ABS and brake light would stay on.

Checked the brake fluid levels, all OK, had changed the fluid prior to my MOT, so all fresh.

Checked the fuses and relays, lo´ and behold, the pump fuse had blown. OK, replace, carefully turn iginition key, yay, pump works again, but still at a much lower speed than usual, struggling. Did this a few times, each time for no more than 5 seconds as to not overheat the pump (even the Bentley states not to keep the pump running for more than 30 seconds!). No fluid was drawn from the reservoir into the system. Hmm ... Shook the reservoir a bit, dipped a screwdriver into the reservoir to check the bottom layer for any gunk, none found, turned the key again, and hey presto, usual high-pitched enthusiastic priming of the pump, and best of all, fluid being drawn in by the system :woohoo:

Cleaned the reservoir cap with level sensor, because that was all gluey and sticky, and beginning to wonder whether it´s that stuff that somehow has managed to get stuck somewhere, no idea. Spent quite some time shifting the gluey residue from the level feeler inside the reservoir cap, but now each time I turn the ignition key I am greeted again by proper ABS system priming sounds and the pump cutting when the prescribed pressure is reached.

Might just do another bleed on the front wheels tomorrow.

Anyway, long story, excellent day, great weather, pics:

100_1144.jpg

100_1145.jpg

100_1146.jpg

100_1147.jpg

100_1148.jpg

100_1149.jpg

100_1150.jpg

100_1151.jpg

100_1152.jpg

100_1153.jpg

Tempest

It was a good day out , with good turn out I have a few pics 2 post also . Hope you get your ABS sorted , good meeting up again today

Good stuff. Good to get the Corrado out and actually go to a car meet.. and cheers for brekkie mate! Glad you got the ABS sorted!

Any idea who won the "other" award? Hoping it was one of the Corrado's? :)

Edited by Jim

Any idea who won the "other" award? Hoping it was one of the Corrado's? :)

Give you a couple of clues ...... Green and 450bhp.