scorrado123

Rear Subframe??

Hi all,

Firstly i hope this post is in the right section! oh and excuse my ignorance please!!

So my mechanic was checking out my newly purchased VR6 and giving it the once over for me. There are a few bits that he recommended changing and he is currently putting together a list for me. One thing he did say was a part underneath the rear drivers side of the car needed to be replaced due to rust. The part is above and next to the rear brake disc and is obviously some sort of frame. He said it must be called the subframe but searching on here I only seem to find posts related to engine subframe which this is obviously not.

So my question is, is this indeed called a rear subrame? or some other part? The shield behind the brake disc is also pretty rusted too and probably needs replacing too.

Once I get the list I will post on here, I also have a 2.0 16v and want to know which of the parts that need to be changed on the VR6 I can take from there. Will this 'rear subframe' (if thats what its called) be able to be taken from the 16v and swapped on to the VR6??

Many thanks!!!

Corrado's have a rear beam rather than a rear subframe, although from what you are describing it might be something else rather than the beam as even though they do gain surface rust over time I've never heard of one getting so bad it needs changing.

VR6 beam differs slightly from the four cylinder engined cars. If you search for 'rear beam' and look through Jay Renshaw's build thread he has both beams side by side. The long and the short is that the VR beam is slightly wider (circa 15mm) but also has a beefier bush set up. Personally I would replace, if required, with a VR beam.

The shield you refer to is often termed as brake dust shield. I think they can still be had new from VW.

Ask your mechanic for a better description or even if he could show you the issue he found, it maybe that the chassis that goes over the beam to the rear bumper mounts that is rusting. get a definitive answer before you replace parts unnecessarily, could save yourself some money aswell.

Matt

Thanks guys, to be fair he did show me and I really should have taken a pic (note to self). He said it would be a problem to replace the bushes as the part they attach to is so rusted. What do the rear bushes attach to??

bushes pivot in a u bracket mounted to the chassis, the rear beam maybe ok just looks to have lots of surface rust, i would clean it with a wire brush on the car for a better conclusion, before you goo ahead and replace it, or do what quite a few of us do on here, buy another VR6 rear beam get it shot blast then powder coat it. and if your original one is ok, sell it a recoup some of the cost.

Hmmmm I'm thinking perhaps someone who has experience or Corrados could probably give a better diagnosis. Any recommendations not too far from Harrow? (NW London)