dingo

a quick brake question

If I'm upgrading the front brakes from 256mm to 280mm will I need larger backplates?

did a search but couldn't find much, cheers for your input

I think the back plates are still available from VW and they are not much money, so unless your backplates are pristine i would have thought it better you change them.

cheers for the reply daley

they didn't look bad when it was on the ramps last time so looking to keep them if I can.

anyone know if there any difference between the backplates of 16v/VR/G60?

Im a 16v guy (256mm discs) but in my idle moments I have looked up ETKA to answer your question. There is a different backplate listed for the ABV, PG variants with 280mm discs.

Left: 3A0 615 311

Right: 3A0 615 312

So if you believe ETKA then you do need to change your front backplates to fit 280mm discs.

I recently bought a rear backplate from VW-they are larger than the front-it was about £15.

Edited by bmwcompact

thanks bmwcompact, I'll go down the local dealers with those part numbers and see how much the backplates are. I seem to remember reading, somewhere in the depths of clubgti, someone saying they didn't need to be changed.. but can't find it anymore. oh well