scorrado123

eyebrow spoiler painted?

Hi all,

I've recently got hold of a Kamei eyebrow spoiler for my blackberry pearl VR6. I need to get this painted and fitted. Is this something I can attempt myself? how much should I expect to pay for the paint? or to have it done by a garage for me??

Cheers!

plastic primer £15

basecoat £15

lacquer £15

+ sandpaper/panel wipes etc.

Painting at a garage would prob cost £60-£80 maybe less as a saturday job. Leave it to the pro's :lol:

A body shop would deffo do a better job,however i did mine myself with aerosols bought from vw & its a pretty good finish.

A body shop would deffo do a better job,however i did mine myself with aerosols bought from vw & its a pretty good finish.

Thats what i was planning to have a go at!

---------- Post added at 3:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:34 PM ----------

which aerosols will i need? all of those above??

If it's a brand new one in the standard black plastic (ABS) then you don't need to prime it if you use a decent spraypaint designed to go over plastic. What you will need to do is wash off the release agent that helps it out of the mould at the factory, which is often not removed because it makes it look shinier ;) Warm water and Fairy liquid will do fine, I usually stick a small amount of meths in the bucket as well for the degreasing effect but check a test patch before you melt the plastic. Wash it all over with a soft cloth and let it thoroughly air-dry.

Spraying it is best done on a still, warm day ideally just after rain so there's less dust/pollen in the air. The trick is to use many extremely thin coats - so thin that the first few will be barely visible as a coloured 'haze' over the plastic. The can will have instructions so follow them but on the last lot of trim I sprayed it was touch-dry in 15 minutes so I put another coat on every 20. It took 4-5 thin coats to get good even coverage. Don't spray too much in one place, in too long bursts or get carried away with how thick a coat you can get away with as it's a guaranteed recipe for thick, sagging paint with runs in it.

Same as the above if you want to put clearcoat over it - I like the matte finish so rarely bother but it will blend into your bodywork better if you do. White primer is better for bright colours, grey is better for dark colours, and make sure you don't get high-build primer unless you really enjoy sanding.

Stone

• Like 1