Crispy Squirrel

The legality of License plate Changes in the UK . Size, Position ETC.

I've noticed recently that Corrado's with Different or Moved plates look lovely.

Here are some examples:

Moved:

http://www.autoholic.de/images/resized/VW-corrado-6dZa.jpg

Smaller Plate:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2758/901/6892950010_large.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/4c6f4cae-0906-e44e.jpg

Below bumper move:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2nlr4fs.jpg

Plate move smaller left position :

http://image.eurotuner.com/f/featuredvehicles/eurp_1203_1991_1990_vw_corrado_g60/40118121%2Bw620/eurp-1203-01%2B1991-vw-corrado-g60%2Bcover.jpg

_____

I've also seen one where he has the plate on the bumper at the front wich looked the bollox !! Any snaps of that I'd like to see :)

C"mon then Rado' crew, Legalities of this?

I want to do this. As far as I'm aware, as long as the font size and type face remain the same, the plate can be anywhere on the front of the car and still remain legal.

A while back i had the idea of smoothing the fogs/indicators and fitting a 5 digit plate in a shortened recess.

I never got round to a photoshop of the shortened plate, but this should give you an idea of what i had in mind.

You can get a 5 digit legal pressed plate too, so no worries about getting tugged. would love to see it done!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69162[/ATTACH]

A while back i had the idea of smoothing the fogs/indicators and fitting a 5 digit plate in a shortened recess.

I never got round to a photoshop of the shortened plate, but this should give you an idea of what i had in mind.

You can get a 5 digit legal pressed plate too, so no worries about getting tugged. would love to see it done!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69162[/ATTACH]

The plod round here have been clamping down on any pressed plates... a friend of mine was pulled for his "UK Legal" pressed plates a week ago......

The plod round here have been clamping down on any pressed plates... a friend of mine was pulled for his "UK Legal" pressed plates a week ago......

how can they 'clamp down' on something legal? fair enough, they might pull you and check the car for other things so you've drawn attention to yourself by having 'unusual' plates, but if they're legal they're legal!

uk legal plates

That them not knowing the rules on plates.

I used to keep a print out with the legislation on it as I had a bit of grief when I first got my pressed legal plates

how can they 'clamp down' on something legal? fair enough, they might pull you and check the car for other things so you've drawn attention to yourself by having 'unusual' plates, but if they're legal they're legal!

uk legal plates

Because they insist that they are not legal. Said plod showed my mate his plate on anpr screen which mistook his m for a h...... I'm merely passing on info mate. The plates were bought as UK st legal from dubmeister and although my mate expressed this the coppers didn't really care.

There is a debate going on on detailing world at the mo.... my mate is not alone

---------- Post added at 9:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:48 PM ----------

Ollie you beat me to it mate.....

Personally I've got a set of the dubmeister pressed plates and they were sold to me as road legal.

If you read the law, they conform 100% but like anything I also appreciate that it's open to interpretation. The chances of getting a 'by the book' policeman is probably 50/50 so I take that chance. If I end up with a fine I'll pay it and then slap the plastic ones back on.

They've been through an MOT so the only reason I can see getting any grief for them is if I have been caught doing something else naughty and then it's just another stick to beat you with.

im happy that there is nothing wrong with the dubmeister plates. on that whole thread there is only one person whos said they were fined for the road legal type. others are stories of friends etc which doesnt mean anything to me. some have even shown clearly non legal plates!

if i got done for mine, which have all the correct marking etc id argue it in court and then sue the manufacturers if i was charged.

I think the pressed plates look great and have used them for the passed year (sold as UK legal) with out any hassle

I had a set of German pressed plates (clearly not legal) on my old Corrado for about a year and they did attract some unwanted attention form the police on three occasions, but only once was made to change them back which cost £5 at the MOT station

I currently have totally illegal german font & poorly spaced plates yet have had no problem with MOTs for the last 4 or so years so I wouldnt gauge an MOT pass as Plod safe. I have some UK plastic jobbies on order as I CBA with going through the talking down session, fine & waste of my time if I get pulled.

Like with anything you pay your money & take your choice......

That's a bit of a specious argument by the police there, they're relying on the 'must be made from reflective material' clause. The plastic they make regular plates from isn't reflective, it has a film applied to it exactly the same as the metal ones! If anything metal ones are better for automatic reading (provided they have the right font) as the black parts are coated on the front surface instead of the back behind a layer of clear plastic, which is why plastic ones go grey when they delaminate and fill with water. I've only ever had one metal plate delaminate on me and it was made incorrectly (stamped too hard) which the manufacturer replaced for free.

The Dubmeister ones address the main complaint with other metal ones, which is that they don't include postcode of manufacturer / BS AU mark, and get around people peeling the sticker off by laser-marking them. Any MOT station will confirm that they're UK-legal; if I ever get stopped and asked to change them I'll head straight to the nearest garage, get the same plates approved and send the bill to the local police. They have to enforce the law as written, not just their interpretation of it!

Stone

On my old one, when i had german plates on, i used to keep a set of legit ones in the boot. If i ever got stopped i would apologise for not changing them after a show and offer to change them on the spot.. All attached with velcro, 2 second job..