Mike16v

Fuel pump exploded

I started my 16v this morning and could hear a hissing noise. Turns out the fuel pump under the car (near the fuel filter) was pi**ing petrol over my drive. Haven't had a proper look yet but I'm assuming It wont be repairable.

It's a bit inconvenient, but it has cleaned the block paving a treat. If anyone wants their driveway done, I will do it for the cost of a tank of petrol.

Has anyone had to replace their pump? I'm thinking shouldn't be too hard to change - any tips folks?

Also, any suggestions for suppliers?

The pump is inside a "box" I had a badly fitted handbrake cable wear a hole in mine,"box"is still available,pump just fits in it,have a look underneath,it will come clear what I'm saying

Sorry i have no pics

more likely to be a completely rusted through fuel pipe or union, they do go a bit nasty on the 16v's

I wouldn't recommend petrol to clean a tarmac drive, my mk1 did this on my dad's drive and he was left with a pit of gravel rather than tarmac :)

Thanks chaps. I may put the petrol jetwash drive cleaning on hold for now as I'm a bit busy.

Had a good look this morning. The fuel is coming from inside the plastic pump housing. All the fuel line unions seem ok (except I think there is one on top I can't see yet, so could still be that one.)

The problem is, I cant get the b**tard thing off the car. There are four nuts which hold the pump to the hanger bracket. Got those undone but there doesnt seem to be enough room to get it out without taking one of the hangers off. There is the problem because they seem to have clips which I can't get off because of the bolts going through them from above. Any ideas?

It's a while since I was under there but don't the mounting rubbers (rectangular things) have a metal clip around them, once the nut is off they can be unhooked or bent back to remove? I was told they break off often so bought all replacement mountings for mine (think there's a wiki article listing parts?) but mine were actually not that bad.

Hmm...as always, what I though was going to be a simple job, isn't.

I've taken the fuel pump and housing off the car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69238[/ATTACH]

It looks like the source of the leak is a split in the join of the housing the pump sits in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69239[/ATTACH]

Problem is, they are obsolete from VW, and VW Heritage can't help. Didn't really want to fit an old one but looks like I may have no choice.

Also, I think I should also replace this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69240[/ATTACH]

I think it's a regulator, but can't find a part number on it as it's so crusty.

Anyone got either (or both) of these parts? So annoying, just got everything else sorted and was looking forward to enjoying the car for a bit :bonk:

sorry, don't have spares but it's the pressure accumulator you are looking at, have you tried GSF and euro CP? they are basically mk2 16v bits also on the early passats so at least they aren't corrado specific.

Thanks David for all the suggestions. I spoke again to the very helpful chap at Ashford JCD (VW Dealer). He says the Golf GTi unit looks the same except that the fuel filter may be fitted on the other side. I've ordered one anyway, so will see how I get on with it. Apparently my pump, which seems to be fine will fit the casing so that will save me a few quid. The accumulator looks past it but I will try to re-fit it as they're a bit pricey.

So the fuel pump enclosure from a Golf Gti 16v fits fine. I just needed to cut off the plastic clamp for the fuel filter and reuse the old one which clamps to the fuel pump carrier.

The only problem is, now the car is reluctant to start. Before it fired up quickly but now after a few seconds of turning over it splutters in to life. Once its running its fine. This only happens when the car has been standing for a while.

I thought maybe air is getting in to the fuel system somewhere so tightened all the connections. If that were the case though, surely there would be a leak to indicate a poor connection?

Sounds like the pressure accumulator is leaking, the system should hold pressure for days if not weeks after the engine is turned off, try cracking the metering head feed banjo bolt undone after it stood a night, should get a small spray of fuel out, if not then I reckon the pressure isn't holding as it should.

Have you checked the fuel in the tank for swarf? Make sure if the pump has failed that there's nothing floating aroun in the tank.

Started up fine this afternoon. Gave the car a little bit of stick last night and that seems to have cured the problem. I'm hoping just a little bit of an airlock sorted by a little bit of right foot :cool:

Fingers crossed...

Thanks everyone.