craigowl

Non -starting of VR6 engine.

Since the immobiliser is in the ECU, you can flash a new code to it .. if you have the right gear. Just send it in with a key. Coding the ECU to a key is easier than creating three new keys coded to your ECU.

I take it your sparks didn't have an ECU fault code reader. If the ECU immobiliser is kicking in it'll report this as a fault.

---------- Post added at 8:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:00 PM ----------

(Sorry, I should have responded sooner to prevent the bad jokes.. :) )

Since the immobiliser is in the ECU, you can flash a new code to it .. if you have the right gear. Just send it in with a key. Coding the ECU to a key is easier than creating three new keys coded to your ECU.

I take it your sparks didn't have an ECU fault code reader. If the ECU immobiliser is kicking in it'll report this as a fault.

---------- Post added at 8:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:00 PM ----------

(Sorry, I should have responded sooner to prevent the bad jokes.. :) )

Thanks dr_mat.

Yes we had fault code 546 (data line fault) or something similarly vague.

I have spoken to the legendary Vince at Stealth (what a nice guy) and have sent the ecu to him to get the immobiliser castrated.

Apparently my car has the factory immobiliser, plus the Laserline one the sparks fitted 11 years ago when I had the pesky alarm removed.

Dont really understand what happens next.

My head needs an ecu replacement.

Hmm, odd. I still don't think the fault description matches the factory immobiliser though. It may well be your ECU is plain faulty tho, it happens.

Back and running! Another ECU from Vince did the trick. Autoelectrician tested and eliminated everything else. He was here about 4 times and spent quite a few hours helping me out.

Thanks, too, to Colin Low at Tarduff Motors in the town. He kindly checked for fault codes after I had run the car for a while and eliminated last fault by attaching loose connector to fuel injector 1 - for no charge! - I have been a regular for years, though.

So, if you are in touching distance of Linlithgow, 2 phone numbers to know are:

07836 772499 - Graham Pettigrew (Autosound Autoelectrical) Winchburgh, West Lothian. (He fitted radios/phones to Henrik Larson, Jackie MacNamara and Colin Hendry's cars - to name but a few)

01506 842709 - Tarduff Motors Ltd. Linlithgow, West Lothian.

Both highly recommended.

Edited by craigowl

Could to hear is back up and running, so it was the ECU in the end then?

Yes - sod's law - the last and most expensive link in the chain.

No new ones around, but you can get a used one with the correct part no. for about £70-100 on ebay, but not coming up very often when I was looking. Vince at Stealth happened to have one.