steVR6

which relays go where?

hi,

having bought my c around a month ago,i,m getting round

to sorting out its electrical issues of which there are a fair few tbh!

main one i want to tackle is the rad fan as is currently innop and has a dash switch fitted

as a temporary measure while i sort it.

i have checked the wiring and the under bonnet relay,replaced the

rad fan switch etc,and still nowt:scratch:

is there also a relay or relays on the fusebox for said rad fans?

and can anyone tell/show me the numbers and positions of all of them,might as well check they

are all in the right place while im there.

many thanks in advance

The fans on the VR6 are controlled autonomously by the big black box next to the coolant tank. Have a look at that. There are 3 fuses under the plastic flip up lid. One for the after run water pump, a big 50A one for the fans and another one I can't remember.

The fans on the VR6 are controlled autonomously by the big black box next to the coolant tank. Have a look at that. There are 3 fuses under the plastic flip up lid. One for the after run water pump, a big 50A one for the fans and another one I can't remember.

cheers kev,i take it the 50amp one is the BIG silver open type fuse with the two

screws in?,also have a 5 and 20 amp blade fuse in and are all intact.

could the box itself be fooked? thanks again mate,much apreciated

---------- Post added at 3:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:30 PM ----------

quick update,

the 30amp in the fusebox is ok,as are the three(5,20,and50amp)

are also good. my cotrol box thingy's part no ends with a B,is that right?

the fans have never worked independantly since i've owned it,i am currently running

a live (fused,with a switch in)from the battery into the red n white wire on the fan motor

(think this is the full speed wire)and that works. doesn't seem to have any other speed setting as

when i connect to the other one(black n red i think) nothing happens.

properly doin my dome in now!!!

Yeah the big mother of a fuse that's screwed down is for the fan motor. The way it works is speed 3 is the motor's natural speed, but speeds 1 and 2 are 'slowed down' by the controller box and / or some resistors or something.

Speed 3 = Black sender in thermostat housing. This one is usually a good one to bridge with a switch on the dash.

Speed 2 = Thin red/black wire in radiator sender.

Speed 1 = Thicker red/white wire in radiator sender.

Speed 1 works with the ignition off along with the After run pump. Speed 2 I believe is ignition only and speed 3 is definitely ignition only!

Maybe it's just the sender in your radiator that's borked? They do let go from time to time.

thankyou kev:notworthy:you are a star! i forgot all about that little bugger in the thermo housing!

will invest in that and the rad switch tomorrow and report back