matt59876

Improving Brake Pedal Feel

Hi,

I have upgraded all of my brakes at the wheel end of the system (calipers, discs, pads & braided hoses) and I have done a full fluid change and thoroughly bled the brakes. The brakes are much more efficient in slowing/stopping the car but I was hoping for some improvement in the feel of the brake pedal, ie a reduction in movement to initiate the braking.

Does anybody know how I can improve this? And also is it an easy and cheap thing to do?

I don't think there's a lot you can do other than a brand new master cylinder and servo, I reckon most of the problem is down to the aged design of the system, including the abs unit. Bigger calipers, pads and discs will just accentuate the weakness of the system, that's the compromise you make when going from small quick biting brakes to bigger more fade resistant ones on the same design of system. Pad choice could improve things a little.

I assume you bled the abs and master cylinder nipples...if you have give the brakes chance to wear in

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Definitely give it some time, although the length of the brake peddle wont change they will get a lot sharper in time, i would drive it for a week or so and if you don't get a marked improvement then re-bleed.

VR6s just have a dead pedal anyway, regardless of what uprated brakes you fit. Some folk report an improvement by retrofitting the MK3 ABS system (no rear proportioning valve) and / or removing the ABS altogether.

The best upgrade would be the MK4 24mm MC / pedal and servo, but no one's done it yet. Reason being is the pedal itself is a poor design. The fulcrum point for the MC is too high up the pedal, so offers little leverage.

To feel the difference, get in a MK4 with the same 288s and stab the brake pedal, you'll head butt the windscreen.

I assume you bled the abs and master cylinder nipples...if you have give the brakes chance to wear in

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I've only bled the calipers, I didn't realise there were bleed nipples on the abs and mc. Are they easy to spot on the units?

I've only bled the calipers, I didn't realise there were bleed nipples on the abs and mc. Are they easy to spot on the units?

Yep !

The garage that did my brakes didnt realise you can do this and spoke to me like i was an idiot when i questioned whether they had done it, i collected it with a spongy pedal and was told ' i've bled em three times mate so thats just how they are !! '

20 seconds of pedal pumping and nipple tweaking later the pedal was and still is spot on.

VR6s just have a dead pedal anyway, regardless of what uprated brakes you fit. Some folk report an improvement by retrofitting the MK3 ABS system (no rear proportioning valve) and / or removing the ABS altogether.

The best upgrade would be the MK4 24mm MC / pedal and servo, but no one's done it yet. Reason being is the pedal itself is a poor design. The fulcrum point for the MC is too high up the pedal, so offers little leverage.

To feel the difference, get in a MK4 with the same 288s and stab the brake pedal, you'll head butt the windscreen.

yea the brakes on my audi a3 1.6 have a more wooden feel and bites very early, the brakes on my corrado have allways felt like your pushing down on a hard sponge but they do work, wouldnt mind upgradeing to mk4 stuff myself but realy cba.

Yep bled the MC nipple (front of the unit) - usually makes a huge difference to 'feel'