Sign in to follow this  
rallyeman

Broken G lader

Exactly, your paying for a rebuild, it should be rebuilt to at as new condition...

I was totally horrified to find that after parting with the thick end of a grand (including induction kit) not all of the bearings had been done.

Had I realised this before dropping the car off - I would never have gone there in the first place. :agrue:

Where else does a stage 4 charger or similar upgrade ?

Darren (g-man on this forum) can sort out your charger - I have yet to meet a person who has had any bad experiences with him.

http://www.g-werks.com

Go the whole hogg m8 - have an R1 - you won't regret it 8)

Well two guys advertise their services on here.. either drop a private message to 'g-man' (G-Werks is his company) or PM 'LowG' (G-Tuned is his company) - both offer charger rebuilds.

Darren (g-man) has a lot of satisfied customers on the forum - I don't know about Migs (LowG) as he's only recently got into the whole charger rebuilding thing, but i'm sure as he's quite new to it he's looking to get himself a good reputation :)

Sorry, quite new to chargers, although i have had the car 3years now......

All i done to the charger is to fit a BBM RSR outlet,a isv re-route kit and a K&N filter in a modded air box, engine wise fitted a 3.5FPR.

So what would you recommend for a charger upgrade ?

What is a R1 charger ?

Cheers

R1 charger is fully ported & polished with enlarged inlet & outlet chambers - for the ultimate boost experience 8)

Is the g-werks site working properley, all it is doing when you click on the page, is opening my e-mail.

Yeah... Tricky site ain´t it? 8)

It´s just like that! Not finished yet... I think... :?

Write them or have a chat with g-man! :D

Chargers are very temprimental units if not serviced at regular lnetervals. The Charger itself is a sturdy item if looked after. As regards charger faitalitys, the common cause of failure is the top shaft bearings chucking their grease over a period of time, the bearings then run dry, expand with the heat of surstained high RPM and then the balls seize in the cage locking the bearing and the movement of the scroll pops the bearings though the top casing.

As regards Jabbasport, I'm not going to slag them off as if it were not for their existance in the 1st place we would not be in business as their would be very few chargers left to service.

When we take on a rebuild we replace all bearings as a matter of course (barring exhaust housing in most circumstances)regardless of condition as it is not worth our reputation to have a faitality for the sake of saving a few pounds. This is for our peace of mind aswell as the customers. The bearings and seals we use now have taken a lot of time to source. Their as a lot of 'off the shelf' bearings and seals that are adequate for the job, but we have found that they have their downfalls. Last year we were in a finantial postion to allow us to have seals and beraings made to our own specifaction which, without giving the game away comertially, have overcome all the common traits of seal and bering failure. If somone is paying for a full rebuild, that is what they get, regardless of whether the unit has covered 300miles or 40,000 miles. In saying this, their is one bearing in the charger that we do rarley change, that is the bearing in the exhaust housing, this bearing is a phosphrous bronze caged it which is bombproof. The spec of this bearing is way over spec for its application in the charger and they are usally within factory tollerence after 100k miles. In saying that, if they have needed replacing I have replaced them. A charger never fails though though failure of this bearing, i've seen many and even on totallly grenaded chargers that have been run without oil, this bearing is the sole surviovor, If the rest of the chargers bearings were to this spec we would never have to worry about bearing failure.

Both ourselfs and Darren offer free charger health checks. This is for new and old customers. For customers who have covered over 30k since their last rebuild ,or if the unit has never been rebuilt the charger will need a full overhaul, for those to which it is a interim inspection we take the charger off infront of the customer and go over with them what is in need of replacing and show them why. Interim inspections of around 15k, usally we replace any oil seals that look a bit dodgy and as a matter of course on a G60, the top bearings and small timing belt. Customers are charged accordingly in this circumstance for what components have been used and only for what have been used. I much prefer to rebuild chargers as opposed to sourcing replacement units for customers.

Don´t go for the rebuilded ones... :roll:

Look for brand new chargers... :idea:

They are rare...

But they exist! :o

I´ve bought one about some weeks ago... :mrgreen:

Good luck! 8)

Well two guys advertise their services on here.. either drop a private message to 'g-man' (G-Werks is his company) or PM 'LowG' (G-Tuned is his company) - both offer charger rebuilds.

Darren (g-man) has a lot of satisfied customers on the forum - I don't know about Migs (LowG) as he's only recently got into the whole charger rebuilding thing, but i'm sure as he's quite new to it he's looking to get himself a good reputation :)

Yes we offer services on the G60 unit such as full rebuilds,porting ect. On the rebuilds that we have carried out we have replaced ALL bearings and we always will do, we offer a 6 months warranty unlimited milage on rebuilded chargers which leave our door to give our customers piece of mind.

Most of our customers are not from this forum or they dont know it... but we will have a guest book in our upcoming website which should be up and runing very soon. :)

rgds

miguel

g-tuned

have you found a g lader yet. As mine has just blowen apart, you are right it makes an big bang then a rattle. mine has gone exactaly same as yours :cry:. if you find a replacement could you let me no where you get it. Cheers

poor chap, it does scare me sometimes, could someone start a poll, it would be interesting to know how many chargers have blown up, specs, mileage, pully size, was it ported etc and by who,.

I take it only the mod squad can set up a pole (I may have missed something somewhere thou). I'd be very interested in the result also.

Yeh, I'd be pretty interested too. See how many vandals like me there are about, I'm sure that there are plenty of you out there. Has anyone bought a charger from g-tune (lowG)? any opinions? I'm thinking of an RS2 spec, what do ypou think?

Maybe I was wrong to lay blame solely with jabbasport. I took the charger off today and stripped it down. Now what I found was that the charger did'nt have a stock pulley, it was fitted with a 70mm pulley. I would imagine that this would reduce the life of the charger a lot more than a stock one. Inside the charger I found all apex strips intact, all seals looking good (although there was a good coating of oil inside the boost pipes and the charger), and don't know about the conditions of the bearings, but they seemed to be intact and all spun freely enough. But the timing belt had snapped. The only damage I can find seems to be associated with the timing belt snapping, displacer smashed hole in casing and and then smashed itself. The sits of casing and displace seem to have been smashed into aluminium pepper which now covers the inside of the charger. I'll post some more pictures when I get the chance. Should the charger have had a wider than standard timing belt fitted? this looked like the stock 9.5mm belt. Wish I'd have had the charger inspected soon after I got the car. Never mind.

Maybe I was wrong to lay blame solely with jabbasport. I took the charger off today and stripped it down. Now what I found was that the charger did'nt have a stock pulley, it was fitted with a 70mm pulley. I would imagine that this would reduce the life of the charger a lot more than a stock one. Inside the charger I found all apex strips intact, all seals looking good (although there was a good coating of oil inside the boost pipes and the charger), and don't know about the conditions of the bearings, but they seemed to be intact and all spun freely enough. But the timing belt had snapped. The only damage I can find seems to be associated with the timing belt snapping, displacer smashed hole in casing and and then smashed itself. The sits of casing and displace seem to have been smashed into aluminium pepper which now covers the inside of the charger. I'll post some more pictures when I get the chance. Should the charger have had a wider than standard timing belt fitted? this looked like the stock 9.5mm belt. Wish I'd have had the charger inspected soon after I got the car. Never mind.

hello there,

i very much doubt if jabbasport were the last people to handle your g-lader that it would of left themselves with a belt thinner than 12.5mm on it as this is part of there package.. also the belts very rarly just snap on there own accord its usally down to one of the intermeidate shaft bearings throwing there greese and running for sometime unlubricated. can you see on the top bearings what brand / spec they are should be somthing like FAG 6002 C3 This would help us determin what parts and if someone else had had it apart after the jabba service as this could quite easilly be the case and that they could of just used cheaper of the shelf bearings that were not up to the job.

a 70mm pulley is well within the chargers cabalitys to run all day with no problems...

Another query, I spose this is directly aimed at beavis or g-man. My boost pipes (both sides of the intercooler) were peppered with smashed aluminium from my charger explosion. I can clean the pipes easy enough, but what about the intercooler? do I have to replace it or can I get it cleaned somehow. If you suggest replacing it where would I go get a Rallye intercooler made up? Should I worry about the aluminum that my engine must have inhaled, as I also found some small bits in the throttle body? Is it likely that I could have caused some serious damage? Thanks for you time.

When we have a car in with a failed charger we strip the whole boost system off and steam clean the all components out. If the engine was turned off ASAP after the charger blew usally the intercooler filters all the charger shrapnel out. If we find large particals of greaded charger in the TB we take the head off to check that the bores are not scored or the valve seats are not damaged. In the majority of cases the intercooler is reuseable as long as it is steamed out maticulously.

We also leave the boost return system off ay car that has blow a charger as manditory, simplily because there is no physical way that a phreak piece of debris from the grenaded charger can be recirculated into the replacement charger eliminating the risk of a repeat and costly repeat incident. Replace the oil and filter on your car as debris will most possibly passed into the sump via the oil return and also check te oil return is clear too.

We also leave the boost return system off ay car that has blow a charger as manditory, simplily because there is no physical way that a phreak piece of debris from the grenaded charger can be recirculated into the replacement charger eliminating the risk of a repeat and costly repeat incident. Replace the oil and filter on your car as debris will most possibly passed into the sump via the oil return and also check te oil return is clear too.

That makes alot of sense - I was speaking to someone last year who had a VR but used to have a G60 (from new) but lost confidence after the first charger blew at 5 years old and then had to pay for another one 6 months after VW replaced it (just out of there warranty again) - I guess they didn't clean the system out thorourly enough!