nickeboy

vr6 engine ding ding noise?

ok apologies for my interpretation of of sounds to follow.

I have a 92 vr6 (a late 92 as it comes up 93 on some systems)

it has always had a tiny "ticky-a-tee-ticky" noise as many vrs seem to have and has had a rebuild so im happy with that, however after someone hit the rear of it while parked the exhaust has come slightly loose (around the cat on first inspection) and the noise now seems to be a 'ding-a-tee-ding" or possibly a "ping-a-tee-ping" noise, a little more metallic. i hear it more to the airbox side of the engine or the back. any ideas? i wonder if its the sound changing with a loose exhaust or if the bang did something. I know sometimes these things can be a coincidence so advise on just the noise with out reference to the exhaust or bump in the bum more than welcome.

It has had all chains and tensioners changed, and runs well aside this.

Also i am changing the rear axle a a precaution as the other car caught the rear wheel a bit, do i need to replace the bolts on the stub axles and main mounts to the car. any tricks for this procedure welcome.

it has always had a tiny "ticky-a-tee-ticky" noise as many vrs seem to have and has had a rebuild so im happy with that, however after someone hit the rear of it while parked the exhaust has come slightly loose (around the cat on first inspection) and the noise now seems to be a 'ding-a-tee-ding" or possibly a "ping-a-tee-ping" noise, a little more metallic.

I honestly have no idea but you made me laugh :lol:

I honestly have no idea but you made me laugh :lol:

LOL made me chuckle trying to recreate a "ping a tee ping " noise :)

OP does the exhaust seem louder after the hit?

the exhaust is definably blowing around the cat so is a little louder. i just wonder if their is anything around the manifold that could create a "ding-a-tee-ding" i have to say it is in time with the tappets but they were fine before. i wonder if it is because i have been driving and thus are used to a hire car but as thats a diesel so i would hope not. any ideas welcome and i will update when i find more.

Stop it, you're killing me :lol:

It's like something off the Magic Roundabout or The Midnight Garden (if you have kids, which I don't, so it's a strange reference to make!).

I was gonna suggest the cat, and then you mention its blowing in your second post, so I'd deffo start with that. Check all the heatshield around the exhaust too. Obviously with the bang, it could have caused the exhaust to shift a little, and resonate off the heat shield at idle.

Update

Having run the car for a while (it was sat at the garage for 4 weeks) run up to temp then for 10 mins the noise has got a lot better, it's so unearthing having that metals noise I imagine it's going to blow up!,. it was also pluming white smoke at first which was scary but must be water in the exhaust as its now cleared, will look into the exhaust next, any suggestions on replacement systems or sections, just good quality no sports and ideally not stealersship.?

Thanks