silverrado1

Help my 2.9vr6 shuts down

Hello there, as in the title my K plate vr6 shuts down. Fairly confident its not the relay 109 issue as it doesnt just kill the ECU the whole power system shuts down (lights, CD player, dash lights etc). 9 times out of 10 when your going round a left hand corner when the left hand wheel hits a manhole. Then in order to get it back on you have to turn the ignition key off and then back on.

Many thanks in advance

Holly

Some vr can sometimes stall when coming to junction or roundabouts when easing of the clutch even at speed, mine didn't it for a while have a search on the forum there should be a thread some where about it. Won't lie I have never heard of your exact problem before but the two maybe linked

Do the dash LCDs stay on or do you lose those too? Definitely sounds like loose wiring somewhere - if you lose the clocks then I'd start with the mid-sized wires off the battery, if they stay on it sounds more like an ignition switch issue.

I had the main live feed from the battery burn through due to a nick in the insulation which corroded - right up at the crimp under the insulation so it was hard to spot! Killed everything, including hazards...

Sounds fairly unsafe so fingers crossed you sort it soon...:)

Stone

That does sound like a loose connection somewhere. I guess the very first step would be checking the connections to the battery are properly tightened up and not loose!

After mooching around the engine bay forums (fiance was looking at supercharger posts as he wants to re-build a 2.9 dizzy engine for me) he came across this sticky post: URGENT: check your battery wiring TODAY!. It sounds alot like the problem i am having with my VR apart from mine comes back to life when the key is turned off and back on.

Similar symptoms to mine when the battery earth clamp was loose and occasionally moved slightly when going over a bump.