Kris Davis

video of starting problem..

Good afternoon everyone.. hoping someone can pin point this starting issue.

my Corrado is a 1994, 2.0 8v.

The car starts for about half a second and then suddenly shuts off, in this half a second you can put your foot down on the gas pedal and can rev it a bit. this can happen about 3 to 6 times before it starts up normally. I changed the fuel pump relay and that is as far as i have got as used to early 80's vw's..

video below.. unfortunately by the time i got my camera out and filmed it, the problem only occured once more, but hopefully you get an idea.

th_22CA3FF4-5A29-40C9-8A71-E83BEFB05BD4-4831-00000AECBE0F0666_zps0ed0f567.jpg

Mines an 8v never had this problem mate. You havent been playing with the air filter and left a sensor unplugged i did that once took me ages to realise? checked the rotor arm is in good condition plugs / ht leads usual stuff all checked ???

When you say '94 8v. Which side of chassis no. 50SK000718/50SK000719 does your number lie?

thanks for the help. I started with the advice about checking the airbox as i cleaned it out a month back. all wires were plugged in so followed the tube up to where there are two caps that go on the vaccuum system. here a cap had disintegrated and i could hear it sucking in air. i've tapped it up and now starts perfectly every time! Its got the mrs off my back too.. as she was saying it is embarrassing so was telling me to be done with old vw's and get a new car! she gets a little crazy somme times, bless her..

thanks for the direction on fault finding and glad i didn't have to take it to a mechanics.

kindest regards

kris

she was saying it is embarrassing so was telling me to be done with old vw's and get a new car! she gets a little crazy somme times, bless her..

Sounds familiar ha! The missus has been anti-Corrado girl since the day I bought mine but then I do toy with her when she's in the car... ;) bless she's always holding on and complaining how sharp the brakes are