bristolbaron

Rough Lumpy Idle on start up and when warm? What else could it be?!

I bought a 94 VR6 last monday and have been having trouble getting it to idle. I have no history for the car except a receipt from last year for a crankshaft sensor, so im currently not ruling anything out!

When i bought it, it had been laid up for a couple of months and the battery had been allowed to run flat.

It was started up and running rough. We took it for a drive to warm it up, when driving it was perfect, but as soon as the revs were allowed to drop, back to rough idle.

I drove it home [100 miles] and the idle was fine when i got back. perfect.

The next day i started it from cold, and it was back to rough idle again, hunting through the rev range to the point where at times the engine will cut out.

Once warm it clears, with occasional lumpyness but wont cut out.

I had a play the other day taking a few things apart to search for anything obvious. I cant see and splits in any intake hoses, the ISV was very clean inside and the wires in the MAF look intact. I changed the coolant temp sensors as they're a cheap fix and the only other thing I could think of!

Today I tinkered again and hit the ISV a few times as recommended. The idle was much better at this point. I then went on a 20 mile drive to make sure everything was running okay and on my return home the rough idle came back. I tried a few more hits on the ISV, but its not having any of it. I don't know whether it's because it wasnt the problem in the first place or because its properly knackered.

The other thing to note/ask.. I unplugged the MAF [6 pin] and theres only five wires in the loom - is that normal?!

Sorry for the essay, thought its worth writing everything then missing something out!

Cheers

Baz