krishen

Failed MOT on brakes :-(

Just got my car back from mot station and it failed on the brake test.

Its failed on the NS rear brake on both footbrake and handbrake.

Thing is i put new calipers on the rear last week so not sure what the issue could be??

Any ideas what to look at? Have got 14 days to sort out and get a free re-test.

Thanks

It could be the sliders that the calipers sit on, as I had issues with those. Or could be air in the brake lines maybe?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

As above. I have also read on this forum that its important to bleed the brakes before attaching the handbrake cables otherwise the pistons dont self adjust correctly. Sounds possible but I have no personal experience to validate this-maybe worth a try?

Forgot to say make sure when you bleed the brakes make sure you start from the furthest from the master cylinder to the closest. The sliders are quite common to going, I've had a few sieze on my vw's

Ok. Will get the brakes re-bled.

As for the sliders. Can i clean them up or best to buy new ones? Also can you buy them separately or do you need to buy with carriers?

Yeah you can buy them separately I think I managed to buy genuine ones of the net for around £25 last year. I think it was something like vwspares if I can find the name ill send it to you. I would bleed the brakes afterwards replacing or cleaning the sliders. It will be better to replace them as when I tried cleaning mine before I replaced them, the rubbers tore on the seal. Its not a hard job plus means your brakes will work better. While the caliper is off try and work some grease in to the hand brake lever on the back of the caliper too.

Woohoo. Managed to sort it. Still not 100% sure what the issue was but as i think the handbrake may have been tightened a little too tight and caused the brakes to glaze. Took them out cleaned them up and refitted. Also re adjusted the hand brake cable. Took it to the MOT station and it passed.

Never been anxious about mots before as ive always had my cars pass, but at the re-test today i could feel my heart beating a little faster than normal lol.

Ah well alls well that ends well.

Cheers for the replies guys. First thing i checked was the sliding pins and they seemed fine so moved on from that.