Wesleyvr6

Vdo gauges

Hi all, I have just fitted my new video gauges but not sure if the wires n the sender are the right way round, there are 2 symbols on the sender one is 'G' and the other is 'WK'. I have the wire form the vdo gauges to G and the original blue wire in the bay onto the WK one. The reason I'm not sure there the right way round is because when I start the car the oil pressure shoots to over 10 on the gauges! Is this correct? Thanks

G is for the gauge sender, WK is for the warning light - what kind of sender did you use ? They are rated for different pressures, so check that first - you will get high readings when you start the car, but once it warms up it should settle at 4-5 at idle. Original sender is 1-pin, fitted with a T piece, part#535 919 561B, but 2-pin gauges should work if they are 0-10bar, e.g. some Audi Coupes. Also check that it's not earthing somewhere along the way.

Update, I have checked the oil and took the car for a test drive, as soon as you start to slow down the oil light on the dash starts to flash.i don't understand what the problem can be as all was fine earlier today before I swapped the pressure sender? This is what the Vdo shows all the time whilst driving FED8ECC6-A21B-4E7D-A09F-B830036F0CCB-417-0000000500BB3809.jpg

Have you the correct rated sender, I didn't and had the dash low pressure light too?

An infinity reading suggests it's disconnected.

I fitted the sender as stated above, I bought this of a fellow forum member and was told it was the correct one, but I'm not sure now as I have this problem! Does anyone have a part number for a Vdo sender which they are currently using with no problems? Thanks

Plenty of part numbers for the correct sender using the search.

That's the thing buddy, I've already used the search and read through endless pages! there seems to be a lot of conflicting info hence why I asked for someone with a working 'VDO' sender to tell me there part number. Vw don't sell these anymore as I've already been and checked.

Check my post above - part number is in it.

Thanks for the reply buddy, but was really after using a dual pole sender if I can as I've read the single ones with a t piece are a PITA to fit.

The replacement one i was going to order is from Merlin Motorsport vdo part number v360 023 but some confusion as it may actually be 306 081 030 009, they're about 40 to 50 pound.

I've always assumed these gauges read resistivity, so even if wired incorrectly with the correct rated sender the dash light shouldn't flash, and looks like you have the correct rated sender, so it's a bit of a mystery.

Thanks all, think I've got to the bottom of it, basically the sender I've been supplied has a low pressure reading of 29.6psi which is very high, hence why the light is flashing on the dash!