Stonejag

Duff wishbone bushes? What to try?

My C was pulling to the left a little so I thought I'd get the tracking re-checked. It was last done in the first week of September after fitting two new front tyres (needed as the camber was woefully out at -4º each side) so I figured the odd winter pothole had disturbed it.

Only the front-right side was out - the left was fine - so I got it adjusted from -2.6º back to -1.5º, and started driving home. About ten minutes back it started pulling left again so I turned around and went straight back - when it got put back on the ramps it was at -3.3º!

They did reuse the nyloc nuts (which I now plan to replace) but it still really shouldn't have slipped that far in the ten minutes I was driving it so I'm wondering if there's a deeper problem. The wishbones are apparently straight but there's a been fair amount of oil around from when I cracked the sump, so the alignment guy suggested it may have started to slowly rot the bushes out...

Sound reasonable? I've no problem swapping wishbones for some polybushed ones if that'll make it happier! If I do, what else should I swap at the same time - track rod ends, ball joints? There's a fair amount of vibration on braking and it's done ~95k with what I assume are all factory items so it probably wants addressing.

Thanks in advance :)

Stone

If there is any movement/wear in wishbone bushes it should be fairly obvious.Jack up the front end & have a good look around with a torch,get a mate to give the wheel a good shake at 'quarter to three & six oclock' position to check ball joints. Are you sure your wheel alignment was done by someone competent,there not always!

i fitted poly bushes to my wishbones,must say it made a massive differance

And they will destroy your wishbone over time.

Just get the Golf R32 ones... I had poly bushes fitted to one of my old Corrado's and it just made for horrendous, bone crashing ride with no compromise and arguably no real improvement to handling. I'd never, ever fit them again. Ever.

must be different types then,mine are red and where cheap off ebay.they didnt make my ride horrendous they just made the car feel a lot more solid on the road

Im 41, i think Jim is a bit younger, im firmly in my second childhood.......... :smug:

Getting back on topic, i think the suspension set up you have plays a big part on how poly bushes react.

Edited by daleyboy

I'm 31... and even at this "young" age, I'm well, well over slammed and stiffened cars! :)

Im 41, i think Jim is a bit younger, im firmly in my second childhood.......... :smug:

Getting back on topic, i think the suspension set up you have plays a big part on how poly bushes react.

Balls.

A polybush fitted in place of the rear 'doughnut' bush will wear out the wishbone causing an oval hole in the metal of the wishbone as there is no play in the polybush.

As for evidence, there was a very good thread on VW Vortex a few years ago about this very subject (although I have lost the link I had) and various other folks who have run polybushes have, over time, run into the same issues.

If you have a track day only car then polybushes are fine, for a fast road car in the UK don't bother.

As for the 'feel' being better, yes it will be - you just replaced a worn out old bush with a brand new one, it could be the cheapest part on offer but it will still feel better than an old knackered one!