MurdoMac

Just saying Hello :)

Hi, I'm new to the forums and indeed Corrados, I've had 2 MK2 GTI's an 8v and a 16v which were both excellent then fell of the wagon a bit and bought a Calibra which I liked at first but due to what I think was an alarm problem the battery kept going flat and I soon became more annoyed with it than anything. Then work took a real hold an I have for the last few years been relagated to Transit Vans, first a couple of bangers then a new MK6 and currently a 3 year old (bought new) Mk7 so now feel it's time for some fun again and have been looking for a good 'classic' summer/special car.

My first natural choice is the Golf MK2 but I see that the Corrado is within budget now and am debating weather to plump for a VR6 instead. Having spent the last few days looking over the forums i'm still undecided allthough I am keeping track of a few 'for sale' VR6's. It does seem they can be expensive to keep and of course reading through the forum people obviously are posting for help with problems so I was wondering whats the other side of the story, are there VR6 owners out there who don't really have problems? can VR6's be described, on the whole, as reliable? or are they an endless money pit of parts and breakdowns/trouble?

I am willing to put up with a certain amount of problems of course, I mean any 17+ year old car will have some troubles but i'm looking for the least amount possible, I do love the GTI Golfs but maybe it's time for an upgrade?

Welcome! :)

I've had 10 Corrados now, and all have been 'reliable' bar two: G60 and 2.016v. The only one that's ever broken down on me was the G60. These two weren't terrible, but it did seem to be one thing after another in the end. All the others have been great on the whole. You just need to keep on top of things and be pre-emptive. I've used all mine as dailies with very little trouble.

Choose carefully and look at as many as possible. If you're buying from on here, it's prudent to search the previous owner's posts ;)

Hi. good luck with your search. can't comment on vr6 as mines a 1.8 16v. yes there have been niggles but nothing too major and i've put over 50k on it in all conditions as a daily and many on here have probably done twice that i'm guessing. still makes you smile even when not behaving.

If no luck I do have a mk2 8v GTI for sale in all original condition ;)

p.s. 'Murdo', not heard that for ages! my old nickname from school, and i thought i was the only one.