KIPVW

Golf MK5 resistor keeps blowing, any ideas?

Hi All,

my sisters MK5 golf keeps blowing the resistor packs and i have just changed the fan and another resistor for genuine vw ones but within 10 mins it had gone again :(

Can anyone suggest what to look at next?

I've read some posts on various sites suggesting a blocked pollen filter. could this be the cause?

Hope someone can shed some light on it as my sis isn't too well and would like to help her out as this is another issue to the ones she already has :(

Thanks all.

Blocked pollen filter does sound worth checking,extra load on motor etc,though not heard of that one before.Pop it out & have a look

I also read the switch panel can go faulty but not sure on this one, there seems to be a lot for sale on ebay so it could well be a problem.

Will get her a new filter and see what happens

If its blowing that way Paul, then look at the wires around the fan unit for a shorting, particluarly the 12 volt feed from the resistor pack which I think will be a red wire with black stripe.

Or for a foul in the chamber above the fan unit that is loading the fan mechanically.

Or as said, take the pollen filter out. If iirc the filter is access under the dash in the passenger footwell where youare with the fan unit. In the opposite forward corner there is a rectangular panel about 25cm x 5 cm. On the surface there is a vertical lip. Use that to slide it about 1.5cm. The panel should fall off, with debris and the filter start to drop. Tbh, I seen bad filters and the fan still runs. Just take the filter out tonight, system will still run, leave the 25cm x 5cm panel off for ten minutes and see if it blows again.

The thermistor cannot see any dash electrical current so it has to be downstream of the resistor pack, electrically or mechanically. Panel switch is a red herring.

Edited by RW1

Thanks chris, can the resistors be repaird? Cost £30 and only lasted 10 mins :-( can do without that.

Looks like nothings fouling the fan too. Will try and check for a chaffed wire.