sancho

16v Vs VR6

Hi There

I'm new to this but i have a few questions about the difference between the 16v Corrado and VR6.

I'm in the market for a corrado that will be a daily drive and will be doing around 10000 miles per year. I have a decent sum and am willing to pay good money for a fine example of either the vr6 or the 16v.

I have been trawling the internet for a 16v as i wanted to try and save a little on the fuel economy but have noticed good ones are in short supply, and they ones that are for sale command a pretty sum. Which turns my attention to a VR6. Can anybody tell me what the VR6's are like to live with as i know they are an awesome engine and really are the Corrado of choice.

Thanks

Expensive, in my opinion! Not sure there's a vast amount of difference between mpg across the models - probably more to do with driving style. If I were buying again for a daily driver, I'd go for the 16v myself I think, even though there's a bit of a difference in performance.

Which turns my attention to a VR6. Can anybody tell me what the VR6's are like to live with as i know they are an awesome engine and really are the Corrado of choice.

Thanks

Think you've answered your own question mate! :)

decisions decisions ha ha i know the VR6 is the one to have but i know from experience that these things can become a labor of love and was more concerned about the maintenance costs of the VR6

I think if you're buying from the top end of the market, and do actually get one worth the money, then the maintenance costs shouldn't be too bad, as long as you keep on top of everything when things do crop up. Also, would you be doing any of the maintenance yourself, or paying somebody else to do it?

The 16v's are marginally better on fuel (1.8 16v's more so) but the VR6 is just a better all round car. The only other area the 16v excels in is being nimble, not being quite as nose heavy as the VR6.

A popular route it seems on this forum is to start off with a 16v, find how well you settle into ownership and perhaps after 12 months trade up to a VR?

I'm generally pretty hot on issues that arise as i like to know things are tip top and i'm willing to throw a pretty sum of money at one. But im back to my dilemma i'm quite familiar with the 1.8/2.0 through owning a Mk2 golf which i did allot of the work on myself, when i changed the engine i looked at a vr6 but was warned off because of high maintenance costs and there completely unknown to me.

And these days i need the car to get about as public transport to were i go is awful :(

The VR6 is no harder to maintain than the others in my experience.. the only large expense is the cost of doing the timing chains / tensioners job if they haven't been done but that'll only ever be a one-off job for the whole time you own the car.

and i want to make more journey more interesting than being stuck behind the wheel of a 320d :(

---------- Post added at 1:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:40 PM ----------

well i figure the tax is the same either way, insurance doesn't differ to much cus i'm getting old the only other concern is the fuel costs but looking at it i get more car in the vr6 than the 16v. and if im realistic fuel costs shouldn't be a concern when looking at cars like this. i'll take a look into vr6's as ive looked at a few 16v's and there where a mess :(

If you're spending that sort of money, get a VR6. You'll only regret it ;)

MPG isn't going to be that much better and maintenance costs, assuming you buy a good one, will be similar.

Plus don't spend your entire budget on the car itself, unless you have a decent amount of disposable income. Always worth buying and running it for a few months because there are bound to be issues no matter what you buy.

yeah might be going this week to view there is another on car and classic that's only done 50.000 but its at the top of my price range :( Thanks :)

---------- Post added at 1:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:55 PM ----------

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C338172

That ones been for sale for ages, guys bumped the price way up from when he bought it, look here >> http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?76794-Corrado-Gti

I get similar long-term mpg on the VR as my missus gets on her 16v MK2, though not sure if that says more about our driving styles than the cars themselves!

Having come from MK2s myself, I've found that the VR is harder to work on due to less space under the bonnet and it does have slightly more to go wrong. Service parts - and parts in general - are a bit more expensive too.

As a daily, it's great in summer, in winter it can get annoying sometimes when you get various niggles, though once everything is working and all the rattles are gone it's very easy to live with. Reliability-wise, I've had problems with the crank sensor and immobiliser, but otherwise she's always started and run fine.

Ive owned both a 1.8 16v & my current VR6 - which ive now had for 4 years

In my opinion, & experience, the majority of the cost with regard to maintenance & parts wearing out is not engine related.

Irrespective of engine flavour, unless the jobs have already been done (& to a good standard), it is likely you will need to:

Replace suspension - a coilover kit is likely due to genuine vw parts being obsolete

Replace all running gear - ball joints, tie rod ends, drop links, front wishbone bushes, rear beam bushes etc

Replace radiator & potentially cooling system related items

Repair & respray any tatty body work or as per my case rid the front end of the gravel rash of stone chips

Engine work can be expensive on any size engine & thus go for the one that you really desire!

That said......the sound of the VR6 is purely addictive & often i find myself not even turning my stereo on just so i can listen to it grow from a purr to a growl to a roar!! :D

Oh, & whatever you decide make sure you get an uprated headlight loom off here from KUR2Y - the difference is astonishing!! ;)

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

thanks for all your help and advice people :) i'm going to give it some consideration but i'm leaning towards the VR6 as i seem to be able to get more car for the money as by the looks of things people tent to look after this version more :) thanks again :)

well i just did insurance comparison and the VR6 is cheaper than 16v i don't get it at all. and your right about the sound one just came past my flat ITS A SIGN ha ha

Avoid that red 16v on general principle - there was a discussion about it on here recently and looks like someone bought it at significantly less than the current asking price and stuck it straight back up for sale. They clearly know nothing about the Corrado if they advertise it as a GTI 16v :| Besides, for that money you could get a superb condition VR6.

Something to consider with the 16V is it's simplicity. Scan the forum and see how many "My VR6 stalls at junctions", "VR6 MAF", "VR6 running rough", "VR6 plug fouling", "VR6 Chains", "VR6 Bore wear", "VR6 oil consumption" type threads there are.

Then compare that to how many engine queries you get for the valver ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love VW's narrow angle 6 but ask yourself this: how brave are you? Are you feeling lucky, punk? :D

As Tom said, if you can afford to buy the car and nothing else, don't even consider it. It's like paying £5K for an old Merc E55 AMG, being happy with it for a day, and then waking up with the stark reality you can't afford to run and maintain it.

I here you dude as i have been down this before with my golf the money i set aside is for the car allowing other money for spares and potential repairs as that just comes with the territory.

To be honest i expect the problems but as long as it can be maintained within reasonable cost i don't mind putting things right and the pleasure off sets the pain when it does work :) i presume it's not like owning a modern car were you have dealerships charging ridiculous some of money for a wing mirror like BMW did to me :(

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me :)

At least you can generally still buy most old parts from bmw. Try that with vw and Corrado parts ;)

Yes go for a vr.

Yes get an uprated headlight loom.

I here you dude as i have been down this before with my golf the money i set aside is for the car allowing other money for spares and potential repairs as that just comes with the territory.

Good, you'll need it ;)

If you're lucky enough to find a VR6 that's been pampered, you're onto a winner. But you'll have to pay handsomely for it. They are basic and simple cars to work on compared to modern things. There's quite a few VR6s tooling around with over 200K on them, so they can put in the miles when maintained and looked after. It's just not a cheap platform to work on unfortunately. VR6 tax.

It's just not a cheap platform to work on unfortunately. VR6 tax.

I thought that until I bought an Audi S4...not only is everything extortionate, but there's so much more to go wrong. Rado looks like a Lego kit in comparison!

I heard the headlamp loom was a problem i had it on the golf but changed to zenon head lamps. And after looking around i seem to get more car in a vr6 than 16v for the money :) does anyone know if the head lamp looms on ebay are any good?

and going to look at a vr6 on Wednesday with full service history and 110000 on the clock :)