Hofmiester

Notchy gear change, gearbox oil?

The VR has a bit of a notchy gear change in 1-2nd when cold, no crunch but you can feel somthing not going into place smoothly. I remember that I changed the gear oil in my 16v ages ago and that improved things but can't remember the oil type, does anyone here know?

I also remember that I had the cables adjusted at a garage and that also improved things but my guess is thati could do this myself. Are there any good DIY tips?

Thanks

Ron

Also worth noting that my gearchange improved a lot after I replaced all 3 of my tired old engine mounts.

Although i wouldn't disagree with Dragon Green, i had the same problem as you the 1-2 shift just didnt feel right, new engine mounts did cure it.

The car has a vibratechnics upfront and has had the other mounts done this year. The problems stops as soon as the box is warm which suggests it is a problem with the box? We are talking really subtle, totally livable but would be nice to fix.

I think its just the way the car is, mine tended to snatch into second with a mild crunch if i was too quick, is that what you mean ?

I think its just the way the car is, mine tended to snatch into second with a mild crunch if i was too quick, is that what you mean ?

yeah that sounds right, when the car is cold, if you change too quick from 1-2 then there is a bit of notchy-ness, not a crunch but you can tell somthing isn't mechanically ready :)

All fine after 10 mins driving

Can't beat an easy fix especially on a rado!

If you haven't already changed your engine mounts its another thing I'd defnately advice looking into. Improves the car so much in every aspect IMO if the old ones are tired.