JforJonny

Newbie in SE London

Very exciting - got 3 lined up to look at on Saturday in Berks / Bucks area.

SO much useful info on here I hope I can read all the tips before then!!

So.. saw a couple of VR6's at the weekend, the one I originally wanted most (Storm) was already sold but found another VR close by which was not so good, engine seemed tidy but bodywork not great and turns out it was a Cat C, so moved siwftly on.

Best one I saw was high miles but immaculate inside and out, except wheels which need reconditioning, and the engine bay which had some rust in. The rest of the car seemed in top condition, recent ABS light fix, all other elecs working ok. How big an issue is the rust in engine bay (mainly at the front)? easy to clean up / sort out?

Depends how much rust and where it is? How many miles? What was the service history like? Any history of engine work? Do you have a link to the advert because it may be a car which is known on here. You're welcome to pop along to see mine as a general comparison. Mine isn't immaculate by any means, but certainly isn't the worst in the world either and it may give you a feel for what to look for.

According to google maps I'm 23 miles / 50 mins drive away.

Edited by Portent

Not a lot of rust but several small patches along the front where the hood prop thing lives. Nothing is visible from the outside.

It has 184k miles, full stamped history but no indication of engine work, 1 previous owner and last 5 or so services at a local garage (dealer before that). All very standard which is what I am looking for.

Ad HERE

Thanks for the offer - I'm carless at the moment. If I decide against this one I might be in touch!

Looks nice although I can't see the pictures too well on my phone. I'm afraid I don't recognise the registration. If the rust is just surface rusty on the top of the slam panel where the bonnet stay lays then is must likely to be fine. The mileage isn't low and so chain work may be needed at some point in the near future. But that can be said of any vr6 with any mileage really. The spoiler could beer one of many things from a relay to a fuse to a new motor needed (all available from people braking cars). No mention of the heater matrix having been replaced although at that mileage it must have been at some point.

They aren't leather recaro seats however, despite what he says. They are standard leather seats.

The only real down sides are the spoiler (fixable), relatively high mileage, and the fact he admits to driving 130mph in it.