Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

White chalky residue in the engine bay?

Whilst doing some poking and fiddling with the bumper this evening, I popped the bonnet to discover that my engine bay appears to be covered in what I can only describe as a white chalky residue... (this includes the underside of the bonnet, that sound deadening stuff is also covered in it). There's nowhere obvious I can see that it might have come from but it's all over the place.

Anyone have any thoughts on where this might have come from, or which bit of my car is about to go pop next?

DtM.

White chalky residue is usually left by coolant - looks like you are leaking under pressure from somewhere... maybe just overfilled or expansion tank cap seal...

Yeah, maybe... you could do with a steam clean mate so you can see whats leaking and where from...

i thought that was a bit risky... or is it just one of those things that you absolutely make sure is done properly (like replacing the front windscreen)? I've always been advised against doing it...

DtM.

that's just road salt.... if it was coolant you'd know about it in a pretty major and expensive way with it covering that much of the engine! ;) :?

Get yourself a can of GUNK and follow the instructions... ;) 8)

that's just road salt.... if it was coolant you'd know about it in a pretty major and expensive way with it covering that much of the engine! ;) :?

Get yourself a can of GUNK and follow the instructions... ;) 8)

Ta matey, and all who posted :wink: . The rain on the drive into work this morning appears to have cleared most of it away and the coolant cap seal ,coolant level and the pipes I can see all appear to be ok. Temps on the dial and MFA are all where they usually are too.

Me? paranoid?

Marvin.

:mrgreen: