Ed21

What's my VR6 engine worth???

I've finally got myself a R32 engine to go in the Rado and so the vr6 obviously has to go, problem is I'm not sure what I can sell it for as I've seen so many go for peanuts. It's got a genuine 86k and has just had extensive work done within the last 1000 miles (invoice to prove), head has been fully rebuilt with new guides, all new exhaust valves etc, new chains and guides and new oil and water pumps. It would be going virtually complete with all ancillary parts inc coil, throttle body, isv, both intake and exhaust manifolds, engine loom etc etc. only parts not included which are required for the conversion will be flywheel, clutch, thermostat housing, crack pipe, aux water pump and starter motor.

Given condition i'd of thought i should be able to get £300-£400 for it but don't know if I'm being unrealistic?? Hence why I'm asking the guru's of all things Corrado.....

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys, cheers - Ed.

Given condition i'd of thought i should be able to get £300-£400 for it but don't know if I'm being unrealistic??

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys, cheers - Ed.

Maybe this is stating the obvious but 'what's it worth' threads do wind me up a little bit ... so I apologise if this comes across rather short, it's not meant to be.

If you advertise it for £50, someone will probably buy it ... but you will no doubt be unhappy at under-pricing it.

If you advertise it for £800, it's probably unlikely to sell.

Why not just advertise it for £400 and drop the price until someone either buys it or makes an offer?? Who cares if you're being unrealistic, you can ask what you want, it's your engine! :)

Just a thought, I think the 12 valve and 24 valve crack pipes are different - certainly 42 Draft Designs do 2 different versions of their crack pipe. Thought it was worth a mention before you assume you can reuse the 12v version...

Mark

Maybe this is stating the obvious but 'what's it worth' threads do wind me up a little bit ... so I apologise if this comes across rather short, it's not meant to be.

If you advertise it for £50, someone will probably buy it ... but you will no doubt be unhappy at under-pricing it.

If you advertise it for £800, it's probably unlikely to sell.

Why not just advertise it for £400 and drop the price until someone either buys it or makes an offer?? Who cares if you're being unrealistic, you can ask what you want, it's your engine! :)

Same here, my eyes roll whenever I see another 'whats it worth' thread..

The 2.9 engines tend to go for a little more but my view is if I'm putting in another block I want the bores checking or re boring and then require New pistons which is a lot of money and makes any second hand block near worthless, as you can't guarantee its life span considering the labour cost of installing another block it's worth having it done right. So unless you can prove its a good block I wouldn't pay top dollar for it! Just my view so shoot me down if you like.

The 2.9 engines tend to go for a little more but my view is if I'm putting in another block I want the bores checking or re boring and then require New pistons which is a lot of money and makes any second hand block near worthless, as you can't guarantee its life span considering the labour cost of installing another block it's worth having it done right. So unless you can prove its a good block I wouldn't pay top dollar for it! Just my view so shoot me down if you like.

I think some of us would take the risk at a pinch! The point is valid though - you're effectively buying blind unless you can hear and see it running first. 86k may as well be 186k.

VR6 engines, like a lot of Corrado parts actually, are one of those things that people will pay lots of money for if they NEED one and are struggling to find one, but you will struggle to sell if there are no such buyers out there.

^^

Reason number two I really dislike 'feeler' and 'what's it worth' threads.