Mandarinvx

Newbie (needs advice)

Hi all,

I'm Adam, from Redditch

I currently have a Mini Cooper S (supercharged version) and a Vauxhall VX220 (which will also soon be a supercharged version, but not quite so OEM!)

I've always loved the Corrado, I go to the classic car show every year, and keep saying to myself, one day... Well I think that day has arrived, but which model...

I like fast cars, but it doesn't have to be fast as the other two are nippy enough

I think I'm swayed to the V6 (I'm secretly hoping it has the v6 rumble, but yet to see!) But then I also love supercharged cars - ok so on paper the vr6 is the better performing car, but is it really all that noticeable head to head with a G60???

I quite like tinkering with cars, are either of the two more home mechanic mod friendly? I've ported the head and changed the rods in my VX220 and will soon be strapping an Eaton blower on, so not afraid of getting my hands a little dirty :)

I've looked around a lot in the past, and think I know what I'm looking for - a relatively low milage car, ideally in black grey or white, as few cosmetic mods as possible, and with black leather - not asking for much then!!!

Is there a buyers guide anywhere pointing to common problems / what to look for etc?

Anyhoo, hello, and any help greatly appreciated :)

Welcome to the forum :wave:

The VR isn't necessarily a rumble but it does have a lovely growl especially when opened up.

Standard G60 vs standard VR is a deck stacked in favour of the VR. However the G60 is a lot easier to extract an extra 40bhp from to get it in the same sort of ballpark. Tuning the VR (whilst NA) is pretty expensive.

Strap a charger to the VR for £1,500 and you should be knocking on the door of 280bhp .. ish. G60's very rarely function above 200bhp (awaits hate-mail).

Any idea of budget?

There is an (old) buyer's guide but I have to admit I'm not entirely sure where it is! The search will help or someone will post a link I'm sure. I'm very tired lol

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/the_corrado_buying_guide_checklist.html :roll: :lol:

Best thing you can do is get out there and drive a couple of examples of both. As Tom says, the VR is better out of the box. Also worth noting that you'll get the more modern interior in the VR. Much better IMHO. Personally, I'd go with the VR, but it's horses for courses. The G60 is great, but VR would get my vote.

I used to have a G60 as a daily.. was never a big fan tbh.

It was standard and put out decent power, but they sound like a cement mixer IMO :lol:

VR6 every time

Well that's good confirmation, sounds like the vr6 is the way forward - there seem to be a lot more around too, so finding a good example may not be so hard (I'm a bit fussy!)

As for budget, I don't really have one - ill probably sell the VX, it makes a great track car, but is a little extreme for using on a weekly basis (I work away, so want a car I can take with me for a week at a time) and the harnesses, high lift cams, asbo exhaust, monotube suspension etc make for quite a hard ride; don't get me wrong, I love it, but since doing the work to it a baby has miraculously appeared in our household, so track days are a distant memory for the foreseeable future (lol)

I originally looked at 996's as older models are not far off what I'd get for the VX, but expensive servicing and questionable reliability coupled with astronomical insurance put me off a little :)

What is the reliability and upkeep cost like for a Corrado? I need to do more research, but it seems there are some inherent problems with the VR6 when it gets into higher milage (it may be like the VX, where the timing chain life isn't quite lifetime as quoted by the manufacturer, so I changed it as soon as I bought it!)

Cheers :)

To throw a spanner in the works..

I've had 3 modified G60's and just bought my first VR6. I'm finding it very boring so far. [however i have just come out of an R32 Rado]

It'll either be getting supercharged or sold early next year :lol:

Hi mate and welcome. You on the Vx forum too?

I find the combination of a vx220 and a vr6 works perfectly for me. Are you selling or keeping yours? 1st post says your going to s/c it and next your selling - in the space of half an hour lol.

What cams do you run? I've been considering options for mine including DIY s/c or just simple NA tuning!

0900efaa45cf3abf3b570e31c7b134c7.jpg

Edited by Pete

Hiya,

I'm Mandarinvx over on the VX forum too (a moderator, but I don't get on much now!)

I have all the parts for the sc conversion, so regardless of whether I keep or sell, it is worth fitting them, just need to decide on what cooling to use, not keen on the Courtney charge cooler setup so may make my own and keep it all in the rear :)

The other option is to use the corrado as a daily drive (25k per year tho!) and sell the mini, which should still bring in enough to buy a fairly top notch corrado - I haven't made my mind up (as you've rightly noted!!) lol

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

Oh, forgot the cams

I have comp cams, stage 1 fitted - they make a massive difference to the car - font really kick in til 4k rpm, but then just keep going, where before the engine lost a lot of pace >5k - even the exhaust note changes at 4k!

But (and its a big but) they do give a lumpy idle, possibly not so bad, but in a plastic car built by Lotus it does rattle a bit whilst waiting at the lights - the whole engine seems to lunge a bit; worth it, but would recommend to a daily driver...

I should note that at the same time I ported the head, fitted bigger valves, double valve springs, eagle rods and a 2.5 Piper system; so not sure what those mods did to the power in isolation

Fitting cams is a good excuse to change the timing chain anyway if you're looking for encouragement! :D

I post as pete-r on there.

My only advice with a corrado is that at 25k per year you may end up straining the car quite quickly, bearing in mind they are heading towards 20 years old. I find mŷ car is really robust, and the ability to work on it myself is a huge bonus. Most modern stuff is all laptop this and that etc.

If I were you I would keep the mini to use as a work horse, use the vw for weekend fun and keep the Vx for sunny days and track work, ESP in supercharged form.

My Vx engine is standard bar a carbon Maxogen and a Larini which in fairness sounds divine. I have instead gone for corner upgrades and the car has the obligatory 16/17 TDs in black, r1r tyres and mintex 1144 pads. On a track day I did last august the turbo cars we pulling in a straight line but in the dry my car was all over them in the bends. And that's on standard suspension.

I fancy supercharging but the biggest concern to be honest is losing the Larini popping. The car sounds soooo good as is, I may regret it when I'm not on full attack which is most of the time. ITBs, cams and headflow etc could be the way for me and I could do it myself over time.

Edited by Pete

To throw a spanner in the works..

I've had 3 modified G60's and just bought my first VR6. I'm finding it very boring so far. [however i have just come out of an R32 Rado]

It'll either be getting supercharged or sold early next year :lol:

Mmm muddying the water lol

I haven't had a great deal of experience with VW's if I'm honest, I've driven a MK2 Golf Driver, a MK5 Golf FSI, a Passat 1.8t (surprisingly good) and a Passat R36 (lovely) but never spent a great deal of time in any of them

What's the main difference you're finding, lack of pull low down? :)

---------- Post added 22nd November 2012 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 21st November 2012 at 11:59 PM ----------

I post as pete-r on there.

My only advice with a corrado is that at 25k per year you may end up straining the car quite quickly, bearing in mind they are heading towards 20 years old. I find mŷ car is really robust, and the ability to work on it myself is a huge bonus. Most modern stuff is all laptop this and that etc.

If I were you I would keep the mini to use as a work horse, use the vw for weekend fun and keep the Vx for sunny days and track work, ESP in supercharged form.

I can do that, but would only really give me a few k to purchase with - prices are all over the place - I'd have to tweak the selection criteria I have above a bit I think!

Some of the cars online are way overpriced. I would set a budget, maybe around 3500 or so for a good sub 100k mile car.

Adverts on autotrader and pistonheads for cars at 5,6 or even more are dreaming unless seriously valuable bits are included.

Have you thought about a project if your mechanically handy? Get a standard car with a good body but sky high miles, ditch the lump and fit the BAM vag turbo 1.8 and 6 speed box, which you can chip to anywhere upto 300+ bhp and the handling won't be as nose heavy as a vr6. Only downer is you don't get the v6 soundtrack.

Cheap cars are under 1k, and if you DIY the econversion your probably going to be under 3 all finished. Add a Respray in time and all the other things you might fancy and you'll have a show winner for 5 or 6 maybe, done over a timescale to suit you and the budget???

Edited by Pete

Mmm muddying the water lol

I haven't had a great deal of experience with VW's if I'm honest, I've driven a MK2 Golf Driver, a MK5 Golf FSI, a Passat 1.8t (surprisingly good) and a Passat R36 (lovely) but never spent a great deal of time in any of them

What's the main difference you're finding, lack of pull low down? :)

pretty much.. It's very nice and refined, sounds lovely and drives well, but lacks the agression I enjoyed from the G60's. I've been in [but not driven] a supercharged VR and that felt like it had the same kick the g60 gives you, but with added top end and the noise - wow!

you have to go out and drive a couple and get a feel for the dfferences.

Some of the cars online are way overpriced. I would set a budget, maybe around 3500 or so for a good sub 100k mile car.

Adverts on autotrader and pistonheads for cars at 5,6 or even more are dreaming unless seriously valuable bits are included.

Have you thought about a project if your mechanically handy? Get a standard car with a good body but sky high miles, ditch the lump and fit the BAM vag turbo 1.8 and 6 speed box, which you can chip to anywhere upto 300+ bhp and the handling won't be as nose heavy as a vr6. Only downer is you don't get the v6 soundtrack.

Cheap cars are under 1k, and if you DIY the econversion your probably going to be under 3 all finished. Add a Respray in time and all the other things you might fancy and you'll have a show winner for 5 or 6 maybe, done over a timescale to suit you and the budget???

Personally, i hate the 1.8t engine. I've not driven a rado with one, so there could be an element of fun im missing but i think it sucks. If i were converting a car i'd be going R32.

1.8t in my opinion are the safe choice, easy runner and tunable, you don't get that aggressive kick though that I get in my 24v.

Vr6 dude

I have a Golf with the 2.0T engine. It's a great engine in a family car. But it has no character at all. I loved the 24v 2.8 V6 in my last Golf.

12v VR6 or 24v V6 would be my choice... R32 if possible.

Hello there m8

Another potential Corrado in redditch, love it!!

Lots of good info from others on here so far - my 10 pence worth would be that the sound of the VR6 progressing from purr to grumble to growl to downright roar makes me grin from ear to ear every single day!!

You are welcome to meet up & take a look at my blackberry VR if you want m8 & ive too much to type on here in terms of maintenance/part replacement recommendations ;)

Well an engine change may be a bit ambitious, but I guess if the templates are available for mounting parts... trouble is I dont really do electrickery related

Hello there m8

Another potential Corrado in redditch, love it!!

Lots of good info from others on here so far - my 10 pence worth would be that the sound of the VR6 progressing from purr to grumble to growl to downright roar makes me grin from ear to ear every single day!!

You are welcome to meet up & take a look at my blackberry VR if you want m8 & ive too much to type on here in terms of maintenance/part replacement recommendations ;)

Cool, whereabouts - I'm from Brockhill area

I'll take you up on the offer to have a nose around one - maybe when the weather has improved a bit though! :thumbleft:

Well an engine change may be a bit ambitious, but I guess if the templates are available for mounting parts... trouble is I dont really do electrickery related

Cool, whereabouts - I'm from Brockhill area

I'll take you up on the offer to have a nose around one - maybe when the weather has improved a bit though! :thumbleft:

Im over in Ipsley m8 so not far away. Cool, hopefully when we get a nice day on a wkend we can meet at the abbey stadium or somehwere. I know another rado owner off here too so i will try & get him there as well :D