Goldie

Bonnet foam Removal

I will shortly be replacing my bonnet foam and as i know a lot of people have been involved in the group buy I'm seeking some advice on the best way to remove the old stuff..

I can see it will just peel off but leaving behind an adhesive layer, how did people tackle this? Any tips?

I used some stuff called Tardis, but it seemed to be the same as white spirits, i just sprayed it on, let it soak and scrapped glue off with a plastic scrapper. Might take ages though

2011-02-25125112.jpg

Received a bottle of VW generic glue remover, smells of oranges (orange acid), which did the trick on the glue residue. Not cheap though. Was given that bottle free as a loyal customer :lol:

Tempest

Ok, looks like a bit of a pain..

Ill source some suitable adhesive remover..

Im obviously very keen not to damage the paint in the process..

All you need to do it is use white spirit (not turps), a paint brush, an old credit card and a cover for the engine bay - decoration sheet from B&Q.

1. Use the credit card to shave off the foam.

2. Brush on white spirit, cos of the slope of the bonnet, apply at the top of the pad area and brush down.

3. Wait about 15 mins, apply some more white spirit.

4. Allow to soak for about an hour.

5. When it's ready to come off, the adhesive will droop off the under bonnet. Use the credit card to take it off. Any stubborn areas, apply more white spirit.

6. Wipe the areas clean with a cloth damped in white spirit.

7. Wash the areas with car shampoo and water, wipe dry.

It'll take about 4 hours including waiting time.

The orange stuff from the dealers is apparently identical to 'Dissolv-it' which can be had from supermarkets (think it was in the washing powder/stain remover section). Works really well, although you still need plenty of elbow grease!

Yes cheers too from me, as I'm in the middle of mine at the mo.

Just waiting for a dry weekend to finish after a few failed attempts. Have already got a bottle of Tardis so will report on how that works. Only managed a small patch so far but reading this i guess its my impatience that's not helped me. So now I'll leave time for soaking and not expect it to shed instantly :)

make sure you have a old bedsheet to cover the engine bay!

i used contractors solvent/degreaser from screwfix, spray on and leave for a bit, the credit card or similar to remove. You could use a hairdrier etc, but with a good soaking it should come off fairly easily.

Started having a play with this today..

The foam sheets just peeled off in one piece, is this normal?

It has left behind a thin base layer of foam that I'm assuming this is where the scraping and the degreaser comes into play??

Finally got round to doing this, having bought a set of Sprinter's reproduced foam liners several years ago but never getting round to fitting it!

Not too bad all in all, took about an hour to quickly scrape of the foam, then used a cloth to rub white spirit into the residual glue / foam residue layer and scrape off with a credit card to get back to pretty much pristine paintwork underneath (if only the same was true of the topside of the bonnet, which is definitely due a respray!).

Then it was just 5 mins to actually fit the replacement foams - what a difference not to have crumbling, patchy foam!

Edited by pbradley98
Adding pics