VW_chris

problem with MPG?

hi all,

bought my flash red corrado vr6 last monday, and i love it.....

just a couple questions on mpg, on the clocks it gives an average of 4-5 when i boot it and 10-14 when im almost off the throttle in a high gear.

this just seems pretty low even by a vr6`s standards, has anyone experienced problems with the multi function display giving dodgey mpg readouts? or would it be worth looking into ignition? i replaced the spark plugs the other day, HT leads are nearly new, only other thing i can think off is the ignition timing might be slightly out, it doesnt seem it though.

also, my fans seem to run constantly, would it be worth replacing the fan relay with a "copy" or could it be something else? ive expereinced wayyy more problems with cheap sensors ect off ebay rather than genuine replacements, but 100 odd quid for a genuine one seems a bit steep....

chris

there are loads of threads if you hunt about regarding the wiring and function of fans on corrados but i will deffo tell you that it should not run all the time, if this is the case i think its also the cause of your very poor mpg as it will be running cold all the time and thus be using more fuel as it will be running the cold map for want of a better phrase.

does the car feel under powered or anything also??

mine is doing about 19mpg on a short run of say 15min with varied driving and returns 36mpg on a long run of say 50mile of relaxed driving

Edited by timthetinyhorse

the fan problem has seemed to have been cured. i had it in the garage i work at just doing bits and bobs, i cleaned up the terminals on the battery and a few grounding points which i think may have been the problem, it had sat around for around a year with few miles put on it which i dont think has helped it. even with it being garaged.

it is a switch over model, late 92 early 93, and i believe it to be an early engine, simply because theres a dizzy on the right hand side of the inlet cam. it runs absolutly spot on, and it really doesnt feel under powered, far from it.

im going down to a big car meet at teeside park tommorow, so ill work out my mpg over motorway miles tommorow and see how it fairs there. tommorow will be the last day ill be running her over winter. ive got the golf to run around in plus it gives me plenty of time to tidy her up over winter

im going down to a big car meet at teeside park tommorow, so ill work out my mpg over motorway miles tommorow and see how it fairs there.

This. Don't pay attention to the MFA MPG and certainly don't use it as the basis of diagnosing faults on the car. Revert to the old method of manually calculating miles driven vs. fuel used. If your real MPG is in line with other VR6's then your issue is solely to do with that one component (MFA) or how the information arrives at it. I'm pretty sure it's all done electronically on all VR's so could be a simple wiring fix.

fixed the problem tonight, by fixing another problem, my wiper linkage had popped off so i was under the bonet fixing that when i noticed a small vacuum hose lying on top on the gear linkages, i got looking and hooked it back up to the pipe poking from the upper heatshield, heading back from blyth town centre to my house in south beach, i got a lovely 29 mpg :) well happy

---------- Post added at 2:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:15 AM ----------

id read i think it was either on here or votex that only the 1.8`s ect ran off a vacuum, which kinda threw me off the idea that something in that area was causing the problem, obviously vr6`s run off a vacuum too, so to whoever posted that was true, think again

---------- Post added at 2:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:17 AM ----------

it also fixed a rather lumpy idle too, which id been trying to fix for a week or two, cleaned the TB out and replaced a nasty bit of vacuum pipe for the fuel pressure regualtor. but, what puzzles me is on the intake hose where the oil breather hose (which ive also replaced) goes into it, theres like a sensor blank, it looks genuine vw but theres a connector which clips onto it, just seems odd how theres a connector going to no where really....

what puzzles me is on the intake hose where the oil breather hose (which ive also replaced) goes into it, theres like a sensor blank, it looks genuine vw but theres a connector which clips onto it, just seems odd how theres a connector going to no where really....

They're all like that. Think its an option for something, from what ive asked on here. Maybe an American spec VR.