jpowell79

can I de-immob my ECU myself?

Have heard on other posts that a guy at Stealth will de-immob your ECU, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how you could do it yourself?

My car won't start, and I really don't have £100 to get someone else to do it at the moment.

Failing that, anyone know anywhere I can get it done cheaper?

I've heard of others doing it but no one cheaper than Stealth...

Might be cheaper just to fix the problem, could be just the key or reader coil?

thanks.... if I plug the car into VAG-Com, will it tell me specifically which part is at fault?

e.g. code 1111 is the key, code 2222 is the reader coil, code 3333 is the immob box, code 44444 is the ECU, etc?

Erm... yeah should give you a clue - usually says something like engine start blocked by immobiliser I think but usually the engine does actually start then cuts out - is this what yours is doing? Tried the spare key?

It's a very straightforward job and an absolute cash cow for these places which is why they will never reveal how to do it!

You have to modify the ECU settings by removing, erasing, reprogramming and replacing the on-board EPROM. Most places put a socket on the PCB so future modifications are just a case of unplugging and erasing / reprogramming the chip rather than having to desolder it every time. Trivial job for anyone with mid-level electronics rework skill and the right tools, but you can't do it over the ODB port, sorry.

The hard bit is working out which bits of the EPROM image to twiddle! If anyone was intending to get it done I'd happily do the desoldering / socketing bit for free (making the job cheaper) in exchange for a copy of the chip contents before and after. Would be nice to gradually build up a selection of ROM images remapped for different combinations of mods (BMC CDA, 263/268 cams, charged, turbo'd) as you could get 90% of the way there before hitting the rolling road for the first time...

Stone

It's a very straightforward job and an absolute cash cow for these places which is why they will never reveal how to do it!

You have to modify the ECU settings by removing, erasing, reprogramming and replacing the on-board EPROM. Most places put a socket on the PCB so future modifications are just a case of unplugging and erasing / reprogramming the chip rather than having to desolder it every time. Trivial job for anyone with mid-level electronics rework skill and the right tools, but you can't do it over the ODB port, sorry.

The hard bit is working out which bits of the EPROM image to twiddle! If anyone was intending to get it done I'd happily do the desoldering / socketing bit for free (making the job cheaper) in exchange for a copy of the chip contents before and after. Would be nice to gradually build up a selection of ROM images remapped for different combinations of mods (BMC CDA, 263/268 cams, charged, turbo'd) as you could get 90% of the way there before hitting the rolling road for the first time...

Stone

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay then..... will give stealth a ring.

I had the same issue on my vr6 kept cutting out and wouldnt even start. I had stealth do mine about 130 all in posted back next day. Plugged it and and fired up first time.