Oldtax

Gearbox Oil and how much?

Hi,

new to the forum. got my purple valver yesterday. long term dream accomplished. woohoo! :cheers:

but 1st and 2nd gears are a bit notchy and car does a tiny lurch after they are engaged. i guess i cant complain too much as its in excellent condition on the whole, 139k on the clock and all for £1500. well i think thats pretty good myself.

im presuming this is either the synchros or the clutch? either way to prolong its life i want to change the gearbox oil - i cant see that its ever been changed in the SH. Would i be right in thinking Red Line MT90? and grease up the linkages?

Im not sure how much i need to get - 1 litre? also, what thoughts do people have on brand of engine oil?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

2 litres of GB oil required.

Lots of decent engine oils available- worth having a look on Opie. However, you can't go wrong with Quantum Silver 10W 40 from VW. Cheap as chips and perfect for the Rado.

Yep - Quantum Silver should be perfect engine oil for your 16v :)

Redline MT90 is great gearbox oil!

Welcome to the forum - the lurch could also be engine mounts - look for signs of oil seeping from the 3 mounting points and also see how much the engine moves when reved.

Regarding greasing the linkages - get a new can of WD40 and fire it straight at the linkage on top of the gearbox, let it drain for a bit then get a hand (glove) full of CL grease and work it into the linkage - take it for a drive and should make a noticeable improvement after a few miles, especially with the oil change also

Thanks supercharged. would wd40 and grease work well together? surely old fashioned grease would get right in there and wd40 might create a slight barrier to this. how about copper grease ... or is that just stupid?

You need to adjust your linkage if your getting "gear-grab" when engaging 1st and 2nd which is the left to right linkage. You'll need to find the sweet spot between reverse and 1st.

As said above,oil change will make difference between smooth changes and fighting with the gear stick

i was far too premature with that one! i dont think i greased it enough maybe but when i went out this morning i couldnt get it in gear at all. only reverse allowed me to start grinding - which i stopped immediately. no amount of force would get any of the other gears in. so i phone my new local and they said they would send a flat bed. i am very grateful but not very rich so i said id think about it.

before leaving work i coated that stubborn monstrosity in wd40. when i got home everything seemed back to normal. except ..... the clutch pedal seemed a little low. so just to see if i was going crazy i put my foot under it and it lifted .... far beyond where it was and now wont go back! gears appear to still function fine tho. any thoughts about that?

also, will it be safe to drive to the garage (8 miles) ... and dare i say workplace (25miles)?

ive only had her a week ;(

maybe i got wd40 on the slave cylinder? would that encourage it?!

Depends how competent driver you are! - LOL! im guessing it would mean using my foot to bring it back up if needed? as long as it doesnt die on the dual carriageway id be happy. might give it a little run around tonight when its quiet.

hang on, if it was the slave surely it wont go into gear so sweetly?

(wish i had 2 cars!)

Having read this thread, I`ve just gone and brought 3 bottles of Redline MT90 at £49, and a funnel/hose to change my gearbox fluid. Been meaning to do this for a while now, but never got round to it. So if the weather isn`t to cold this weekend, I`ll get myself under the car and change the gearbox fluid.

i was far too premature with that one! i dont think i greased it enough maybe but when i went out this morning i couldnt get it in gear at all. only reverse allowed me to start grinding - which i stopped immediately. no amount of force would get any of the other gears in. so i phone my new local and they said they would send a flat bed. i am very grateful but not very rich so i said id think about it.

before leaving work i coated that stubborn monstrosity in wd40. when i got home everything seemed back to normal. except ..... the clutch pedal seemed a little low. so just to see if i was going crazy i put my foot under it and it lifted .... far beyond where it was and now wont go back! gears appear to still function fine tho. any thoughts about that?

also, will it be safe to drive to the garage (8 miles) ... and dare i say workplace (25miles)?

ive only had her a week ;(

So the bite point is low? you taken the mat out - might help for a bit?

Any signs of fluid on top of the gearbox? (from the slave)

Also check your (brake) fluid levels not dropped - You could just try bleeding the slave...