drewster1001

Sunroof swap - Mk1 Skoda Octavia VRS

I have just bought a sunroof to put into my 1995 VR6 from a MK1 VRS Skoda Octavia.

Has anyone had experience of doing this, and if so, do you have any advice / help before I start.

Will the existing wiring just clip into and be able power up the Skoda motor.

Thanks in advance if you are willing to ofer me some pointers....

Mine is 1999 too, will check the markings on it tomorrow.

Thanks for response, was nervous, it was my first post - was half expecting a load of abuse!!

May get back to you with anything I get stuck on - I'm very slowly learning bits on cars, but I'm keen!

Cheers,

Drew

Hopefully a straight swap!

I used a Mk 1 Octavia estate (circa 2000?) moonroof, perfect fit IMHO.

---------- Post added at 5:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:12 PM ----------

Actually mine was 1999.

In presuming its glass?

Mine looks like this;

http://the-corrado.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=41365&d=1296922227

Got any pics fitted? If it matches the contour of the roof properly (not sitting proud in the middle like the Passat one) it might go on my list :)

Stone

I have just bought a sunroof to put into my 1995 VR6 from a MK1 VRS Skoda Octavia.

Has anyone had experience of doing this, and if so, do you have any advice / help before I start.

Will the existing wiring just clip into and be able power up the Skoda motor.

Thanks in advance if you are willing to ofer me some pointers....

Not sure if you can use the skoda sunroof motor as i assume the wiring will be different but you can just use the corrado one. Should be good enough to work the moonroof.

I've uploaded some pictures to this post but they seem to be half missing. Still,you get the idea.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?50688-Moonroof-Advice-Needed&highlight=Moonroof

The motor unit plugged straight in.

I would recommend using the later switch unit (round tilt button) common to VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat of similar vintage. Much nicer to operate.

---------- Post added at 7:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:17 PM ----------

I think it took me a couple of hours to swap them over.

A,B,C pillars need to be removed and another pair of hands helps to take the roof lining out.

Ps: welcome aboard Drewster1001!

Very nice, can't wait to get it fitted now - made a start last night in the dark, equipped with a torch. Managed to get the existing out with no major issues (there are alot of bits!).

Will tackle the install this weekend in the light of day!!

Only problem with new roof is the cloth is dark grey (I have a Green Storm).

Also my switch has snapped, I have all the bits still but it looks like superglue wouldn't be man enough.

I like the look of the later switch unit, is that a straight swap?

Very nice, can't wait to get it fitted now - made a start last night in the dark, equipped with a torch. Managed to get the existing out with no major issues (there are alot of bits!).

Will tackle the install this weekend in the light of day!!

Only problem with new roof is the cloth is dark grey (I have a Green Storm).

Also my switch has snapped, I have all the bits still but it looks like superglue wouldn't be man enough.

I like the look of the later switch unit, is that a straight swap?

Yes, later switch is a straight swap (2 connectors) - Can do you one for £10.00 posted if interested?

Ian.

Thanks for the offer Ian, but I just bought one of ebay this morning (it is a skoda one). But the colour was right (cream for Green Storm), there were 2 VW ones but they were grey.

If the Skoda one doesn't work, what colour is the one you have?

Cheers,

Drew

Thanks for the offer Ian, but I just bought one of ebay this morning (it is a skoda one). But the colour was right (cream for Green Storm), there were 2 VW ones but they were grey.

If the Skoda one doesn't work, what colour is the one you have?

Cheers,

Drew

I've got a few of them Drew but they are all grey I'm afraid.

Ian.

Science,

Started on with the swap, I could do with finding out a few things from you, be great if you could help....

Got old roof out, simple enough (just needed greasing, all working fine now)

1. Put new roof in, tightened up a few of the bolts - the glass was sticking up 5mm proud of metal. Some of the bolts weren't long enough to even reach the holes. Do I just need to get some longer bolts and some washers and adjust to suit, until levels are right.

2. Tried Corrado cable in Skoda motor. Both 6 pin, but didn't fit, so took stanley knife to cable end, and trimmed, and it fits. Plugged all cables in to Corrado sunroof control unit (green light came on), tried - no movement. Put Corrado motor in, everything worked fine.

Corrado & Skoda motors are different, so can't just swap them (might have to, but they wouldn't bolt in correctly).

The Skoda motor has an additional cable on top of where you plug the power into the unit. This has no where to go at the moment, so I assume this is why the thing isn't working. I have bought a later sunroof control panel (after your advice) - it is a Skoda one (it's the right colour too. All VW ones on ebay where grey and I have a Green VR6 Storm).

Do you think it will work when I try it when the new control unit?

Will get the bits and tackle it again next weekend, will be gutted it doesn't work.

The corrado motor will probably work with the glassroof, it would just mean me inventing a wacky way of holding it in place.

Sorry for the rambling message, I hope it's clear what help I need.

Cheers,

Drew

Science,

Started on with the swap, I could do with finding out a few things from you, be great if you could help....

Got old roof out, simple enough (just needed greasing, all working fine now)

1. Put new roof in, tightened up a few of the bolts - the glass was sticking up 5mm proud of metal. Some of the bolts weren't long enough to even reach the holes. Do I just need to get some longer bolts and some washers and adjust to suit, until levels are right.

Ok, I can only think you have a different type of roof, I used the new bolts from the Skoda roof but I thought they were the same length but a Security Torx head instead of Hex Bolts.

I'm sure there is adjustment on the glass by way of some screws, but I never had to adjust mine.

Can you list the details on the glass (here's mine from the Oktavia Estate,also the same as a Passat B4);

Rockwell

FABA

AutoGlass

43R-001366

DOT 500 AS3M04

Tinted

2. Tried Corrado cable in Skoda motor. Both 6 pin, but didn't fit, so took stanley knife to cable end, and trimmed, and it fits. Plugged all cables in to Corrado sunroof control unit (green light came on), tried - no movement. Put Corrado motor in, everything worked fine.

Corrado & Skoda motors are different, so can't just swap them (might have to, but they wouldn't bolt in correctly).

The Skoda motor has an additional cable on top of where you plug the power into the unit. This has no where to go at the moment, so I assume this is why the thing isn't working. I have bought a later sunroof control panel (after your advice) - it is a Skoda one (it's the right colour too. All VW ones on ebay where grey and I have a Green VR6 Storm).

Do you think it will work when I try it when the new control unit?

I think Bristol Barron had the same problem in this thread;

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?50688-Moonroof-Advice-Needed&highlight=Moonroof

When I took the moonroof out of the Skoda the control panel looked like the top one here;

http://the-corrado.net/images/styles/HighlightOrange/attach/jpg.gif

There is another type;

http://the-corrado.net/images/styles/HighlightOrange/attach/jpg.gif

Do you know which yours had?

P.S. I have late '93 Corrado

Edited by science

Science - Legend, thanks for getting back to me... I'll list a few queries I have, sorry for mithering, but I WILL GET THIS TO WORK!!.

1. Have skoda control unit now with button - very good! Swapped button in C unit instead of toggle, plug in C motor - All buttons work and power the motor :)

2. Plug Skoda motor in. No movement.

3. Thought I'd swap C metal roof for Glass - but the 4no. star shaped bolts are different locations (way out). The sliding rails appear to be different too, so can't just swap the rails. Glass is exactly same size as metal roof though.

4. Rang Skoda, went to skoda garage, blagged a wiring diagram off them! It appears the 6 pin arrangement in the Corrado power / control lead is different to the Skoda one. Spoke to various skoda places, they all thought this would be the case.

My thinking now is -I have a couple of options:

A. Break open the 6 pin plastic plug that hangs down from the corrado that eventually plugs in to the control unit, release all the wires (with the ends that grip the pins), rearrange them so that they are in the correct arrangement to work the skoda motor (run risk of breaking things when I open up plug??) Use the new bolts and washers I have bought (£2 bargain) and install moonroof, skoda frame and skoda motor.

B. Bin off the skoda, grease up the corrado frame, have fully functioning metal roof with nice button control.

Have you any pointers / ideas / alternatives?

My concern is mainly with breaking open the female plug, damaging something and having no sunroof options.

Was thinking of taking it to a auto-electricians. But they'll have my pants down, and I don't trust them to not break something. (And I'll be proud of myself if I can do it!)

Cheers for help,

Drew

Ok, if you want the easy option go for the metal roof.

But if you want the moonroof, it's worth it, I see what I can do, it might take a while.

Im hoping it should be possible to make an extra loom, without breaking anything and keeping the Corrado loom original.

Please can you;

1)list all the info from the glass roof

2)post a picture of the wiring diagram

3)Pictures of the skoda motor connector would be helpful as well.

Can't open the photos below??

http://the-corrado.net/images/styles...attach/jpg.gif

There is another type;

http://the-corrado.net/images/styles...attach/jpg.gif

Looked on the thread sounds like he had similar issues.

Just picked up a terminal removal tool from an electricians (something I will probably only use once in my life!).

Gonna take a photo of the Corrado male plug set up in case all fails and need to change back. Will have a play around with wire positions (think pins 1 & 5 in Skoda motor unit are Live and Earth), and hopefully get some juice running through the thing.

Then I'm hoping that because the Skoda motor is alot smaller than the corrado's, when I fit it in, it won't clash with anything.

If I can get that done and the car back together this weekend, i'll be a happy man. Not driven it for 3 weeks now, missing it. So much for a quick job!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70969[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70970[/ATTACH]Science - what a day...

I'm beginning to think I've bitten off more than I can chew

1. ??????? not seen this type of glass (couldn't really get snap off marks as they wouldn't show0

V SPLINTEX

E6 DOT24-AS3-M98

43R-002092

The E6 is in a circle

I've attached a few photos:

Bentley sunroof diagram, and a piece of Skoda wiring for a 2002 octavia sunroof that I blagged off a Skoda mechanic.

Photos of Skoda motor.

Swapped wires in the power supply to what I thought was Skoda layout - working between 2 diagrams

Corrado - 1=BL,2=Y,3=G,4=R/Y,5=R/W,6=BR to Skoda 1=BR, 2=R/W, 3=BL, 4=G, 5=Y, 6=R/Y

Whilst doing this I touched a Live and Earth twice and blew the number 21 (15 AMP) fuse twice (then realised it would be better to diconnect the battery). Replaced to bust fuses.

Reconnected up - No movement from motor.

Getting quite annoyed by this point, rang local Autospark, told him my dilemna. Offered him £20, to have a quick nosey (it was sunny today, I was off work, needed a rush job, please) - He said he was a professional outfit and he doesn't do jobs like that.

Rang another - he said it definitely wouldn't work, as Skoda motor would run off computer

Had bought Elsawin cds yesterday, turned up in post today but computer no longer seems to recognise cds when I tried them.

Greased up corrado frame and tracks, thought I'd put back original - sunroof works, but making some very rough noises from track. Ran a couple of times, ended up shearing off the 2 spring loaded pivots. Then the tracks stopped moving completely.

Removed sunroof. One of the 2 screws that hold the motor to the frame then wouldn't release, so had to dismantle to free motor. Salvaged motor (still working), binned frame, kept hold of the bits you screw the metal lid into with 4 torx screws.

Won't be able to use original roof!! (however can at least sell a working motor)

Thoughts now are:

- Is the wiring from the switch on the control different (the back of the button - the 4 pin plug) - IE power is there, but signals are going to wrong parts

- Have I completely misunderstood the wiring diagrams (Skoda one has very little info on it, and I am clueless with electrics)

- Is the additional wire that runs out of the top of the female 6 pin plug on the Skoda motor that has nowhere to connect to in the Corrado the reason that things aren't working (it has a small 3mm deep x 20 wide very small 6 pin plug).

- Do I put Skoda glass and frame in, make fit, put back interior trim and have a moonroof that doesn't move.

- Can you pull me right out of the mire, with some incredible help, and get me sorted.

Will be quite annoying if I put all the trim back in without it working, but at least I get to drive the thing again.

It is becoming obvious that I am pretty useless at this, but what I lack in skill, I make up for in effort / perseverance.

I hope that you can help me out, it would be massively appreciated!!

If the photos don't load, or it is easier to speak to me (if you have the time / patience) you can get me on 07557 381139

Cheers,

Drew

Edited by drewster1001

I may be wrong Drew, but I think that is the later Octavia roof/motor and thus the reason it won't fit - Maybe the donor car was built around the change over time?

Ian.

Ah, b0ll0cks!! That might explain things.

I have the original Corrado motor that still works fine, the Skoda roof fits, so...

Any ideas on how to bolt the Corrado motor to the Skoda frame - the bolt layout is slightly different.

Superglue? Will it hold?

Get my genius mate to fabricate a cradle that will fix the motor in place?

Edited by drewster1001

Superglue is a terrible idea.

:)

Make sure you "reset" the corrado motor before bolting it together, you want to make sure the motor and the frame are at the same point (Ie - dead center).

You will probably want to make up a bracket to set the motor into. If space is too tight you can probably use rivets to mount the mounting bracket to the frame and then the motor to the bracket instead of bolts. Could be a good alternative.

Shame your not closer otherwise i'd come over and help you out. btw I have a spare frame (just the big bit that everything runs in if you need that to get you out of a hole! (pardon the punn!)).

Sent the frame and both motors to a local precision Engineers (hopefully not too precision with the costs!!) he's gonna knock a bracket up.

I may need a little advice about resetting the frame and motor>

I've a feeling that's the reason the Corrado frame is irretrievable, because when I tried the motor in it, it made some horrible cracking noises (hence the frame is now in the bin)

Any help would be a massive bonus, I've destoyed one frame, if I mess up this one, I am gonna be really p1ssed.

Cheers,

Drew

Sorry it's been such a 'mare, with your persistence I'm sure it will work out for you!

As a last resort, have you got any breakers near you?

Might be worth getting a skoda roof with the same glass markings as mine. It should also have the same motor type as the Corrado and the same/ similar rectangular control panel. (£25, 2 years ago)

Will keep on with this one for the moment....

I took the new frame and motors to the aforementioned precision Engineering place (fairly simple bracket required). The guy there was amiable, said it was no problem to do.

He just got back to me - his boss told him he wanted £280 for the work - DO NOT GO TO LYNDHURST ENGINEERING for work. The lad said it would take an hour tops.

My mum's mate is a absolute genius with stuff like this though, so he says he'll do it for free :)

If no joy, will source one from breakers - What year, model was yours from - does it need to be an Octavia estate?

Cheers,

Drew

£280?? That bracket would take about 20minutes to make from scratch! Its just a simple relocation for bolt holes.

Gutted :(

Got VW motor attached to the Skoda frame (FOC - at last there are some nice people out there)

Tried to install, but frame is different shape, so VW motor wouldn't fit in space.

So, I have admitted defeat - installed moonroof, took out electrical circuit board from Skoda motor and plugged in - I have a lovely red lit button control panel / light cluster.

I have a moonroof that fits and looks really good, but doesn't work.

I have a VR6 Storm I can drive again :) :) :)

So any electrical whizzes out there....

How on earth can I get the Skoda motor to work off the corrado wiring (I think the small wire coming out of the top of the Skoda motor may have something to do with it, I think it may plug into the ECU wiring - Convenience switch????????)

Anyway, it's been emotional....