vw.classics

Bad earth? VR6

I've been getting a few issues recently with what seems like a bad earth, I think...

Sometimes, when I brake the indicator lights will start to light up on the dashboard. Also, when I indicate left sometimes the left indicator will stop flashing consistently.

Any thoughts / ideas on what to check?

Cheers

i had something similar on my old mk3 golf, if you were indicateing and you braked the indicators would stop ,if you did that with the headlights on the indicators would reverse themselfs, turned out to the passenger rear light connections were corroded.

Most likely you have a blown / incorrect or badly fitted bulb...

I replaced both the rear side / brake light bulbs and problem cured!!

Glad it was a nice and simple fix.

Thanks for the advice!

i had something similar on my old mk3 golf, if you were indicateing and you braked the indicators would stop ,if you did that with the headlights on the indicators would reverse themselfs, turned out to the passenger rear light connections were corroded.

+1 for me on the rado. Rear offside light connections were corroded. Happened on the day of the MOT as well which is a bit sods law. Easy fix though :thumbleft:

I've just bought the OP's car yesterday and today the fault has reoccurred...rear lights double flashing instead of indicators, brake working the dash display, all very bizarre.

Glad I used the search function as it means I'm not starting from scratch...will investigate later and report back...