carrots

ecu temp sensor 1990 1.8 16v

i am thinking of changing my ecu temp sensor due to poor tick over when warm and poor mpg.thing is ive looked on ebay and not sure ive seen the right one.does it screw into the head or is it held in by a clip.cheers

There are three sensors on the side of the head at the gearbox end. 1 is for dash, 1 is for ecu and last one is for isv control unit. The three sensors are identical. Suggest you disconnect them one at a time to identify the one that shows the temp on the dash then try the other two on that sensor to see what happens. Assuming the temp guage works!

Edit, I think the colours are blue/white is ecu, red/green is isv and red/yel is dash, but may be completely wrong.

Another edit. Newer sensors have a flat top that the connector slides onto sideways, older ones have the upright tab for the connector. My memory works exceeding slow these days.

Edited by Wullie

thats what i thought,the person selling one on ebay says it fits a corrado in his advert but its the type a clip holds in place

Just to add my pennies worth. The person in eBay could be right to a point tbf,, as I thought the 8v had the digi/blue temp sender that's bigger/clips in? The 16valves switched to the ke jetronic, which unlike the digi didn't depend on that particular sensor. Again, could be getting my wires so I could stand corrected!!:-) good luck

Going by carrots signature his car is a 1.8 16v which has the KR engine. This engine has screw in sensors. I've just checked on vagcat and it confirms the part number above.