timthetinyhorse

Clutch pedal sticks down....VR6

Om as the car is off the road at the moment im getting lots of jobs done that need to be done for summer.

I may have post about this a while back but didn't get a definitive answer so thought it might be worth another go, I think its the clutch slave cylinder but want to try find out first before i go and order one as im not loosing fluid and when it went on my 9a it lost lot of fluid........this car is a 93 VR6.

The car is fine and changes gear great when normally driving but if you sit on the clutch for over 30sec or so the pedal sticks down and the car will be stuck in gear, the only way to sort it out is to stop the engine, pull the pedal back up and start the car again and its totally fine to drive again.

I havnt had a change to have a look at the cylinder position when this happens i.e. stop the engine and take a look under the bonnet but someone must have had this issue in the past, could it be a possible lack of vacuum in the system or something along these lines??

I would appreciate any info people can give me on this so i can get it sorted once xmas is out of the way.

Cheers

Your symptoms are similar to when the slave cylinder went on mine. Can you hook your foot under the pedal and lift it while the engine is still running? Could also be low fluid level as the clutch is fed from higher up on the reservoir than the brakes.

I had same problem,changed the slave first as it was the cheaper of the two.Turned out to be master :-(

I'd say the slave seal has gone.

By the way, if your dust boot in the slave cylinder is still in 1 piece I'll buy it off you. I have an almost new slave in mine and I need a dust boot.

It could well be either now, most cars have been through a slave cyl already - worth looking at the history and also how old it looks...

One cylinder failing tends to put more pressure on the other one

yeah makes sense supercharged, I have the full history for the car since 1993 when she was inspected at the dealer so no doubt if it has been done the paperwork will be there. Will tale a look at the cylinder and see how old it looks also, will be surprised if it hasn't been changed after 130k

haven't had much time at all to work on the rado over xmas as iv been having too much fun using my van as a test piece for my new polisher, think i now have the hang of it too

Bazmcc if its there and good its yours for price of postage

Here's how I found my slave was done. I unbolted the 13mm bolts, slid out the slave cylinder and as I lifted it up slightly the pin fell out accompanied by about a spoonful of fluid. It was fairly obvious then.

To check the Master get your head under the dash and try and feel up below where the pin goes through the firewall into the master and if you can feel fluid it's probably leaking past the seal there.