dan95x

New VR6 Owner

Afternoon all,

Just taken ownership of a '94 Corrado VR6 - My first VR and I am getting quite quickly addicted!

It is supposed to be a stop-gap car after my daily A3 was run into and written off, but I think it is entirely possible it will becomae a bit more long term! Problem is it is my daily (I have a 2.0 16v Mk1 Scirocco as my 'fun' car) and my commute is a 150 mile round trip, so the petrol bills are becoming a bit painful.......

Still, sensible choices never end up much fun, so I will live with my stupid but fun decision for a while!

I have a couple of tech questions, so will get over to the tech section and stick them in there - Nice to meet you all!

Dan

They tend to do that to you they are such a fun and comfortable car to drive welcome aboard :)

hi pal

welcome. iam a new one with the vr6 and i cant stop driving it

bollox to the mpg for now

and fuel prices are falling rapidly

cheers paul

Welcome Dan. They are a bit addictive :) It's the 25th anniversary of the Corrado this year so it might be worth heading over to the CCGB (Corrado Club of Great Britain). Their website is not as active as this but they are arranging quite a few meets through the year.

Cheers all - My uncle had VR6s when they were new, so it has been an itch I have intended to scratch for a while - There are a few things I need to sort out, but it is a basically sound car.

163K miles, midnight blue, half leather electric recaros - I was expecting it to be a bit like a Mk2 16v Gti I had for a while, but it is surprisingly 'modern' to drive, even after coming out of an A3 with all the mod cons as a daily (although I guess compared to my Scirocco most stuff feels fairly modern!)

I think it used to be owned by someone on here M437 CLC is the registration

Yeah, get joined up to CCGB and keep it for the Anniversary year at least. I am on my fifth now and keep coming back to them, always regret selling one after a few weeks, sometimes almost immediately.

I've just got back from a motorway Xmas tour of England (Surrey, Kent coast, Birmingham, Durham) and the VR6 was sublime, dangerously so with the acceleration and cruising ability. Had the best of intentions on the Xmas roadtrip, keep the revs down and go for economy and a leisurely pace...but, as always I found myself randomly decelerating and accelerating up to speed again just to listen to the noise and experience the way it piles on speed over 4k revs..result 22 mpg average over approx 1000 brilliant miles!..

It's gotta be a keeper?!

Edited by Billzeebub

I take it all back! Sat in a petrol station waiting for the rac - I reckon either starter motor or ignition switch (or wiring for either) has given up the ghost!

Ah that's a shame. Common issues for total refusal to start are the ignition switch and the imobiliser. Hope you get it sorted quickly and it doesn't put you off Corrado ownership too much. The plain fact is that they are old cars now so things like this are inevitible from time to time. That number plate does ring a bell too, and electric half leather recaros are rare in the UK (they were't an option here as far as I recall - so they were probably bought from the continent).

Sounds like Mike Edwards's old VR6 to me!

What are the symptoms of it not starting? Does the car actually start and run for a second or so and then cut out? Or does it simply not start at all?

Is definitely the starter motor (although I think from having a look that the ignition switch/wiring behind it wants looking at as well)

I was just being over dramatic while sat waiting for the RAC man to come and give me a push! With a Mk1 Scirocco I am more than used to the foibles of older cars, it wont put me off, just swear at it for a bit!

I think it is Mike Edwards who had it before, it has ben through a couple of hands since I think - I bought it off a guy in Cardiff at a bit of a whim to be honest - Need a car at short notice, need it to do Swindon to Cardiff Back every day, need it reliable - The sensible choice is always an 18 year old V6 coupe made partly by hand at a small volume manufacturer

Need a car at short notice, need it to do Swindon to Cardiff Back every day, need it reliable - The sensible choice is always an 18 year old V6 coupe made partly by hand at a small volume manufacturer

Love it, you sound like the perfect Corrado owner. Slightly mad! :bonk:

And so the quest for perfection begins......

Welcome and have fun, nothing is quite as unreliable as a Corrado (apart from an Alpha) but then they are soooo much fun when they work ;)

Ha ha - I also didnt tell the mrs that I was buying it, she was expecting to pick me up from the train station that night, and I turned up in a corrado at home instead!

The journey isnt that bad - 95% motorway, and about 75 miles door to door. It therefore isnt too bad on petrol either (as far as a V6 goes anyway) as I am sat at a steady motorway speed for the majority of the journey. It has been serviced reasonably recently, but I am going to give it a full one soon - If I can eke out another 1 mpg or so, it all makes a difference!

To be fair to it reliability wise, I have put nearly 4000 mile on it since the start of November, and other than the ISV muffler exploding and leaving it temporarily stranded in Oxford till I could find some pipe to bypass it, and then the starter motor the other night, it hasnt really missed a beat yet - I dont think that is too bad for such a relatively old car with reasonably high miles.

I have had to do both front wheel bearings and a set of tyres so far (although didnt like the wheels too much that were on it when I bought it, so got a set of wheels with half decent tyres already on instead). Heater/Blower motor speed needs looking at, brakes have a slight judder, the seal between plenum chamber and blower is leaking and filling pass. side with water, and a fair amount of tinkering with bits and pieces, but other than that it has basically been well looked after mechanically - electrics all work and the engine is sweet.

Biggest visible problem is a slightly tatty body - Has had a replacement wing & door when a previous owner scraped it down a post. The replacement wing is the right colour (midnight blue) but the door is purple, so I need to paint and refit it to get rid of the horrible wind noise coming through it. Also the same previous owner had kept using the then slightly bent drivers door, so it has scraped paint off the sill that I need to sort as well.

I think I should stop listing jobs before it upsets me............

Ha ha - I also didnt tell the mrs that I was buying it, she was expecting to pick me up from the train station that night, and I turned up in a corrado at home instead!.

Me too, first my wife knew of it was when she found it in the garage... "Who's purple car is that in the garage?"......"ah well you see, you know how I was saying I needed a hobby...."

She was ****ed with me for 2 months and then hit me with the random purchase of a £450 coat. We're square now ;)