Jim Bowen

Correct way to torque wishbone bolts?

Having problem with my rear wishbone bush and its the 2nd time the same thing has happened.

Both times a few thousand miles after fitting new wishbones, the wheel shakes about in arch (back and forth) and its the rear wishbone bush that has gone or the bolt loose.

Am i fitting them wrong as its the 2nd time now. I tried to fit them then torque them up when car was back on the ground instead on in the air. Although its a bit hard with lowered car and no ramps.

can't see why you would need to do it on the ground, the bush doesn't pivot like the rear beam bushes so the tightening position won't matter.

If it keeps working loose then either the bolt or captive nut might be damaged?

What bushes are you replacing them with? Try the TT/R32 rear bush. Fit and forget! The OE voided ones are pants.

If it's the bolt that's coming loose, as per David. Either that or you're not torquing them enough :D

I have fitted new original stuff in the past. I just rebuilt everything but used the wishbones i already had which were quite low miles and a couple of years old. Last time it happened i dropped it off at a garage and got them to fit a new wishbones as i lost patience, that one seemed fine until i took it off and refitted it :lol: so maybe its me but i followed the manual to the word

Have just ordered the R32 bushes and powerflex front ones and going to have to try and fit them all this weekend :lol: Bloody car!!, i only just tidied the garage up and put tools away.

When you say you gave it to a garage to fit new wishbones, they didn't fit GSF ones with prefitted bushes did they?!

R32 bushes in the original wishbones is the way to go!

Yep - Pattern wishbones are often a different size to the originals (not joking) and the bushes don't fit particuarly well!

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

Just a thought - you've not had a replacement subframe fitted at some point which isn't a Corrado part??

Basically the Golf Subframes don't have the extra arm and bolt hole as they bolt to the chassis but also require the wishbone bush metal sleeve that Corrado's don't have as standard - that's why the R32 bush works well as this has the sleeve built in and allows less room for movement / failure.

Using a halfords pro torque wrench, then have a 2ft snap on bar which i used last night and turned the bolt maybe once or twice but took some effort so i might of just overdone it. I'm not sure if the bolt was loose or i just managed to turn it some more it last night with the snap on bar. Might be the bush is buggered.

Driving it now and the wheels spin up far too easy and is locking up under braking too easily as well. Going to limp home and start to take it apart i think. I swear it never driven right is always something needs changing.

how is the wheels spinning up and the brakes locking up related to the wishbone bush though? , i have r32 bushs and they have a metal center tube so you physicaly cannot over tighten mine unless the bolt threads strip,

my guess is your not doing them up tight enough, how big is the ratchet/bar your useing to do them up?

They really don't need to be 'that' tight - 130Nm so about the same as you'd do a wheel nut.

Over-tightening and lazy mechanics using windy guns is why people have issues further down the line with these.

They really don't need to be 'that' tight - 130Nm so about the same as you'd do a wheel nut.

you wouldnt be able to remove my wheel nuts with a standard size ratchet without haveing to jump on it, over tight or not i dont like things comming loose, or stripping for that matter..

I think as the wheel is shifting forward and back within the arch its causing steering to go light. Especially round corners.

you wouldnt be able to remove my wheel nuts with a standard size ratchet without haveing to jump on it, over tight or not i dont like things comming loose, or stripping for that matter..

True and admittedly I'm the same and usually over-tighten slightly within the bolt / torque tollerence

I just meant he shouldn't need to use a 2ft bar with a bit of scaffold attached to do them up :-)