Sign in to follow this  
Dick Dastardly

exhaust knocking off rear axle problem can be solved

I have just had a new custom stainless exhaust fitted and after reading the posts on the forum regarding the fitting of after market exhausts. I noticed a lot of people referring to the above problem. I put this problem to the guy fitting my nw exhaust, he produced this specificly made bracket which is tack welded to the exhaust where it bends up over the axle it has a rubber mounting on the other end which rests on the axle.He reckons if anybody has this knocking problem this will solve it.

if anybody is interested i can get the contact details

Yeah I have the same problem too! Got a custom exhaust fitted about 2yr ago. For the first year it was fine, but now I need to keep replacing the rubbers to keep it from hitting the rear axle. A more permanent solution would be great as this is starting to really annoy me now....so would appreciate it if you could give me the contact details

Thanks

Julie

C and C

custom stainless exhausts

block 57, unit 14

28 dalziel road, hillington park

glasgow

0141882 8811

its just off hillington road behind the Reids furniture, they reckoned it would sort out the knocking, they done a great job on the exhaust i got. :-P

I doubt my knocking problem could be cured by a bracket. The problem that I have is that the rear shocker mounting bolt hits the silencer. If the exhaust was re-positioned it would catch the rear bumper. The problem exists because my car is lowered by approx 80mm & this moves the shocker mounting bolt closer to the widest part of the silencer.

The only cure that I can see would be to re-shape the silencer - put a dent in it where it catches on this mounting bolt.

I wonder why none of the manufacturers have considered this ??

C and C

custom stainless exhausts

block 57, unit 14

28 dalziel road, hillington park

glasgow

0141882 8811

its just off hillington road behind the Reids furniture, they reckoned it would sort out the knocking, they done a great job on the exhaust i got. :-P

Had an idea you were gonna say it was them! I know where they are, been in before so I will definetely drop in and see them again ....they are one of the few garages I've found who know what they are doing!

Thanks

Julie

had the same prob ,sounds a bit drastic but i marked were it was fawling and took a pannel beeting hammer to it ....... ..problem hassent cum up since .

so is it hitting the silencer of the pipe? i think this could be my knocking noise as it only started after i lowered the car

Just get your head underneath & wobble the tailpipe/silencer - you'll see the silencer hitting the bottom mounting bolt of the rear shocker.

i ve got the problem but only when i have people in the back

it s really annoying, plus my cars really low so that dont help

?

jules :D wot wheels have u got ? are they lenzo rk'2?