Sign in to follow this  
Matt GTi

ABS Light?

Driving down a dual carriageway in my mates G60 earlier today, and the ABS light came on. When we stopped, he started the car again, and the light went off, and stayed off. He kept his foot on the brake as he started, and the pedal dropped as you would expect it to. What do you reckon, dodgy wiring, or something else?

Cheers

Either dirty sensor or a stuck valve in the pump unit. Needs plugged in to diag equipment for a quick answer. Indipendant VAG garage will do this probably for nothing. (Mine did)

Don't worry about it, just wash the car (wheels) but if it keeps happening then you need VAG-COM to see which sensor is causing trouble

my vr6 has the same problem it comes on at times then turn car off then on again n the light dont come back on

put it on the computer and was told its the light senor under the brake pedal? not changed it yet but been told its easy fix n its about £8

Cheers for the replies guys. He just told me that he steam cleaned his wheels on Saturday, so I'm guessing that may have something to do with it as well.

my ABS light comes on at 100mph and wont go off till i turn the engine off.

any ideas?? (other than keeping it under a ton?)

any ideas?? (other than keeping it under a ton?)

Take the bulb out? Balance your mobile in front of the light? Or stick a wad of blue tack over it... (I know I'm not helping, but I've had a crap day and this weak kinda humour makes me giggle!)

black gaffa tape works a treat randal_24 ;)

Jo sounds to me like a sensor that can't keep up and gives out a dodgy speed pulse once the wheels spin over a certain speed... get it hooked up to a VAG-COM and see what the error code is... 8)

Is it possible you have iffy wheel balance or maybe iffy wheel bearings?

If the wheel's position starts to oscillate, a borderline sensor might start to get the wrong data back..

Is it possible you have iffy wheel balance or maybe iffy wheel bearings?

If the wheel's position starts to oscillate, a borderline sensor might start to get the wrong data back..

Wheel bearings could well cause this, although an unbalanced wheel couldn't unless the bearings were also shot as the ABS ring is attached to the hub on the fronts and the back of the disk on the rears and should be steady if the bearing is OK... 8)

Good point about the bearings though, that's one I'd never even considered in the past... 8)