andy

Any one know anything about employment law? Contracting question ;-)

I'm having some 'issues' at work, I am trying to convert from permanent employee to sub-contractor.

The company are supposedly behind it however they are saying that is in UK Employment Law that I would need to stay away from the company for 6 weeks whilst the process takes place.

I am suspicious that they are trying to pull a fast one? Being away for that time will seriously affect my situation on the project I work on.

Anyone have any ideas, does this sound right?

Any advice massively appreciated!

Edited by andy

There is lots of advice on http://www.contractoruk.com

I dont know the specifics but there is some truth in what they say. Without a break the tax man may deem you to still be an employee of the company and therefore falling under IR35. I believe that means that the company and you are then liable for employers tax, NI, and income tax.

Sounds about right. If you are going Ltd AND outside IR35, then you need to be careful, as you need to prove you wouldn`t other wise have been a proper employee. If you are going umbrella, then it doesn`t really matter. Basically they don`t want to get caught up in any tax nonsense that could go wider. That`s my gut feel anyway.

Cheers guys, I see what you are saying. The company hasn't asked whether I'd go limited or via an umbrella company as it happens. I'll see what they say tomorrow, its still a developing situation.

Thanks Again :-)