Harrier

Pistonheads at Silverstone

There is a Pistonheads meeting at Silverstone on 17th Feb,& they are using the track as a track day/morning.About 30 places left if anyone fancies it.I have put my name down & will be there if weather is reasonable.

Thanks for the tip off! Always wanted to go to a Sunday Service but always missed it.. added my name to the list so will look out for you! Means I need to get the Corrado back on the road and taxed now... ;)

Great,yes the places fill up really quickly,it really annoys the Lambo & Ferrari owners when they are on the reserve list !

As far as I'm concerned, PistonHeads should be for enthusiasts of all cars.. not just those with bloody supercars :| So they can chuff off :)

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure if I'm free yet but have just signed up. Can always cancel if necessary and let one of those Ferrari or Lambo owners have my place.

Anyone else thinking of tracking?

Thanks for heads up on this. Name is down.

Some superb cars attending.

Like the 993 Listing - if it's working note.

Think it may show Corrado Folk have just heard about the event. 3 now in short succession.

Convoy Jim ?

Great,yes the places fill up really quickly,it really annoys the Lambo & Ferrari owners when they are on the reserve list !

to be honest, i've never found this to be the case.. even if it is, most pistonheads members seem to prefer a large selection of cars than 300 lambo's!

I took the r32 to the caring with cars meet and had one guy say mine was the car he wanted to see above all others - a massive compliment considering the cars in attendance!

Looks like the weather should be ok for this so i will be driving up,a convoy was mentioned so could we meet somewhere ? I'm travelling from the South ,if that works,if not exchange tel no's & meet there ?

I'm driving from south. But I will probably have the kids with me so can't guarantee what time I will be able to get them out of the door. So a convoy for me is tricky. Also currently have a problem with the Corrado not starting so not sure whether I will be there. I'm hoping its just a flat battery so will find out in the morning (put it on charge tonight).

Edited by Portent

Corrado not back on the road so will be in the Octavia. Boo :(

Battery charged. Will be in the Corrado : thumbleft:

---------- Post added at 2:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:34 PM ----------

Battery charged. That's all it was. Will be in the Corrado although won't have time to clean it. : thumbleft:

I'm meeting Wendy at hers and heading there for 9am sharp hopefully.

What a nice way to start a Sunday morning.

In heaven at Silverstone, parked up surrounded by Nobles and lots of other good marques.

Shame about the fog putting off Track play until 10.45 and very cold.

Good walks around the Car Park admiring all the metal and glorious sounds of 911's on Track

Just Heaven.

Oh and good meeting up with Jim, Harrier and Portent - nearly forgot !!! :D

Yep,nice to see you all.Had a nice drive back in the sunshine & managed to avoid all the potholes on A43 ! terrible.

Enjoyable day. Great to meet everyone again. I will get my pics up later. Agree about the pot holes on the a43. They were terrible. Just arrived home after spending a bit of time watching the cars on the track. Shame it didn't warm up until later when people were leaving but it was a nice drive back in the sun.

I got talking to someone who turned out to be one of the product managers for the Corrado (picture to follow) so that was an interesting chat.

Ooh interesting! Did you get any interesting nuggets of information out of them? :)

A few of my pics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72392[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72393[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72394[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72395[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72396[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72397[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72398[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72399[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72400[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72401[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72402[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72403[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72404[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72405[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72406[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72407[/ATTACH]

And then we went to watch the cars in track for a while. The sound was fantastic:

[video=youtube_share;vh35YjpJG1o]

This is Nigel Bridgeton below who, along with Richard Dawson, worked in the product marketing department at VW at the time of the Corrado. So it was does to NIgel and Richard that apparently decided what trim levels, colours, etc, were to be sold in the UK. To answer your question Jim, no I didn't find out any information we didn't really know. He seemed pleased that there is still a following for the Corrado and confirmed that the cost and difficulty in introducing airbags was a big factor in the cars demise. Apparently around the same time there was a colour called Turkish Green (not on a Corrado I don't think) and the name came about because it was turquoise. In German that translated to Turkis or Turquis and someone mistakenly thought they meant Turkish and carried on using it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72408[/ATTACH]

Just remembered another part of my conversation with Nigel Bridgeton. Apparently it's due to his hatred of leather being cold that the Corrado and all VW's from that time onwards had heated seats as mandatory if leather was fitted.

Edited by Portent